Renting car in France, driving to Slovenia

Old Jun 22, 19, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Renting car in France, driving to Slovenia

I'm renting a car at the Dollar location at Geneva Airport (French side). I reserved through Kayak. The confirmation email says "Vehicles can be driven into Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Great Britain, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Norway, Sweden, and Finland only."

(1) I want to drive the car into Slovenia. Does anyone know if it's possible to pay a supplement of some kind when picking up the car to allow travel to Slovenia? Or is that list fixed?

(2) If not, are there other rental companies at Geneva Airport that would allow driving to Slovenia? I haven't paid anything for the reservation so I'm open to cancelling and rebooking with another company.

(3) I'm meeting up with someone else in Italy and would like to add her as a driver, is it possible to stop by a Dollar location in Italy and add her (and pay the associated fee)?

I tried calling the Dollar 800 number and it says their system is down and disconnects me. I tried calling the location and the phone number I have for it (on my confirmation email) is disconnected.
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:51 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
(1) Depends on the company. Some (and I would bet Dollar falls into this category) have a fixed list. Others, like Sixt have "zones". You need to get a rate and a car class that allows you to visit multiple zones.

(2) Try Sixt and Avis. You may need to rent on the Swiss side.

(3) You're already pushing your luck.

If you are planning to drive into Switzerland, be aware that as a rule, cars on the French side do not have a vignette. And you will get caught if you don't have one.
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
(1) Depends on the company. Some (and I would bet Dollar falls into this category) have a fixed list. Others, like Sixt have "zones". You need to get a rate and a car class that allows you to visit multiple zones.

(2) Try Sixt and Avis. You may need to rent on the Swiss side.
Sixt and Avis (and Hertz) on the French side do not include Slovenia and are explicit that the list can't be expanded. On the Swiss side there are plenty of car rental companies that say they include Slovenia. But they cost like $500 more (at least). And I may need to return the car elsewhere in France at the end of the trip, which if I rent on the French side is the same price but if I rent on the Swiss side is like $900 more.

Looking around for other options, I can rent a car for 24 hours in Trieste for $25 and it includes Slovenia no charge. So I will maybe change my plans to include a day / two day trip to Slovenia instead of passing through, save $475, and just park one rental at the airport and rent the other car for the day.

(3) You're already pushing your luck.
Ha! Ok I've done this in the U.S. without a problem but wasn't sure if it's easy in Europe, especially cross-border. The rental is for 3 weeks so it'd be worth the hassle to stop by a counter to have the flexibility of a second driver. I guess I will just try it and find out!

If you are planning to drive into Switzerland, be aware that as a rule, cars on the French side do not have a vignette. And you will get caught if you don't have one.
Thanks for the heads up! I have already plotted my route through Switzerland and it doesn't include travel on any motorways / autobahn except a short stretch in Geneva that is exempt from the vignette requirement per the official map (I'm basically just cutting through to France, I could even go around if needed). But I will be sure to buy one if my plans change.

Thank you for your reply!
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:53 am

If your rental was for 3 weeks, you really should've looked into the Renault Eurodrive program. Allowed countries include most of Europe and additional drivers are free. And for 3 weeks, it'd be very price competitive for what is a brand new car.
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
If your rental was for 3 weeks, you really should've looked into the Renault Eurodrive program. Allowed countries include most of Europe and additional drivers are free. And for 3 weeks, it'd be very price competitive for what is a brand new car.
Hmm, interesting. I put in a few different airports and it all came back as $1,200 - $2,000 whereas my Dollar car rental is $330. Will keep it in mind for future!
Old Jun 30, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Hmm, interesting. I put in a few different airports and it all came back as $1,200 - $2,000 whereas my Dollar car rental is $330. Will keep it in mind for future!
$110 a week to drive around Europe is an amazing rate.
Old Jul 1, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
Heck, from GVA, $110 a DAY is a pretty good rate!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
I agree!

Of course add in all the motorway tolls, tunnel and bridge tolls, city center congestion pricing, overnight parking, and of course gas....if I weren't visiting a dozen or so rural sites on this trip I would happily be drinking some wine on the train.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread