Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Orbitz/Avis: Change Drive-Out to local rental -- Outcomes?

Orbitz/Avis: Change Drive-Out to local rental -- Outcomes?

Old Jun 2, 19, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts. The main thing I learned was that there could be legitimate extremely low one-way rates for relocation purposes. Having never done such a thing, it seemed highly implausible, but I guess it's a thing.

Another thing I learned was that many flyertalkers are extremely paranoid or nave. Criminal charges for returning a car to the wrong location? An invoice or credit ding for no-showing on a car reservation? LMFAO. These things don't happen. THAT, I know.

Wife is not "on the edge" as I am in trying travel-related things so she's just going with the Alamo res.
Why don't you be "on the edge" and try it and let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:10 pm

I suggest NOT trying. But, curiously, it did work couple of months ago - as I found out by accident...What happened was that a vehicle I rented for someone on "drive out rate" was still in FL, when that someone was suddenly not sure of her plans. I called corporate to ask "what if"; they checked and said the rate wouldn't budge if I brought it back to same location. And, curiously again, definitely NO to another FL location where I thought (for sure) AVIS would have higher demand. But NO, they surprised me on that

So, here is data point for everyone. Again, I do NOT at all suggest op try that
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Hog View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts. The main thing I learned was that there could be legitimate extremely low one-way rates for relocation purposes. Having never done such a thing, it seemed highly implausible, but I guess it's a thing.

Another thing I learned was that many flyertalkers are extremely paranoid or nave. Criminal charges for returning a car to the wrong location? An invoice or credit ding for no-showing on a car reservation? LMFAO. These things don't happen. THAT, I know.

Wife is not "on the edge" as I am in trying travel-related things so she's just going with the Alamo res.

Did you -- or your wife -- try pricing the rental with Avis/Budget, using the free-weekend-day coupon along with any discount codes for which you qualify, as suggested in Post #13? I would much sooner pay $75 for a three-day weekend rental than $154. (But perhaps for the particular weekend in question, cheaper rates are not available with Avis or Budget.)

​​​​Edited to add: for June 7-10, for example, Avis is offering an intermediate car at TPA on a non-refundable prepaid rate of ~ $72 -- all taxes included -- if you combine the free-weekend-day coupon code (TUWA077), with the AARP Avis AWD code; it's ~ $78 with the Entertainment Book Avis AWD code. (Entertainment Books are currently on sale for $12, with free shipping.)

Fully refundable pay-at-counter rates are a little higher, but still less than $154 for that weekend.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 2, 19 at 1:38 pm
Old Jun 2, 19, 9:11 pm

Entertainment Books are offered even lower every week; but buying it for this one code?
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
Entertainment Books are offered even lower every week; but buying it for this one code?
Why not? If the lowest car rental rate available is at least $12 more without any discount code, it makes sense, since you can still use the Entertainment Book's coupons (and Avis/Budget discount codes) through the end of this year.

The OP's wife could also join AARP, which would yield an even better rate. If the OP's wife is not yet 50, she could join as an "Associate" member ($16/year?), and enjoy the Avis/Budget discounts for a full 12 months, plus discounts at Outback Steakhouse, Denny's, etc. And the AARP discount at participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S. also includes a small amount of primary third-party liability insurance, and a $5,000 limit for loss of or damage to the rental vehicle.
​​​​​​
SinglePapa2 likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 3, 19 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Why not? If the lowest car rental rate available is at least $12 more without any discount code, it makes sense, since you can still use the Entertainment Book's coupons (and Avis/Budget discount codes) through the end of this year.

The OP's wife could also join AARP, which would yield an even better rate. If the OP's wife is not yet 50, she could join as an "Associate" member ($16/year?), and enjoy the Avis/Budget discounts for a full 12 months, plus discounts at Outback Steakhouse, Denny's, etc. And the AARP discount at participating Avis/Budget locations in the U.S. also includes a small amount of primary third-party liability insurance, and a $5,000 limit for loss of or damage to the rental vehicle.
​​​​​​
Nice. Any zero-deductible special?
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice. Any zero-deductible special?
No; that's what the primary-coverage credit cards are for -- unless you don't own a car, in which case the secondary-coverage credit cards will provide primary coverage by default.
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:22 am

No; that's what the primary-coverage credit cards are for -- unless you don't own a car, in which case the secondary-coverage credit cards will provide primary coverage by default.
I live in NYC, and do not own a car/any auto insurance. My question was: are you saying your rental car is insured with zero deductible? And also, what about my liability (I use AMEX Platinum for rentals)
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I live in NYC, and do not own a car/any auto insurance. My question was: are you saying your rental car is insured with zero deductible? And also, what about my liability (I use AMEX Platinum for rentals)
If you use an Amex Platinum, then you have zero deductible insurance on the rental car included already. There's no liability insurance (i.e. coverage for damage you cause to other vehicles or persons), however, so you need to either buy a non-owners policy (I'm in NYC, and mine costs around $120 for a year, Travelers through CAMPBELL-SOLBERG agency) or buy liability insurance from the rental car company.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Secondary" rental-car insurance -- offered by many credit cards -- means secondary to any other collectable insurance you may have. If you have no other collectable insurance, secondary insurance becomes primary insurance for you .

As noted, third-party liability insurance is a whole 'nother thing. In a handful of states, car-rental companies must provide you with State minimum primary liability coverage. And, as noted, AARP members who use the AARP discount code when renting from Avis or Budget at participating U.S. locations get primary 25/50/10 liability coverage. But if such low levels of liability coverage are not to your liking, you can either purchase SLI from the car-rental companies each time you rent, or, if you rent cars often enough, get a personal, non-owned-auto liability policy from Travelers or some other insurer. (My policy is with Travelers.) Such policies, when issued to NY residents, automatically include coverage for damage to, or loss of, a rental car, paid out of the policies' property-damage coverage (no deductible). The downside of that is that a credit card which offers secondary coverage will be of no use to you if you have a non-owned-auto liability policy in NY.
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:40 pm

"Secondary" rental-car insurance -- offered by many credit cards -- means secondary to any other collectable insurance you may have. If you have no other collectable insurance, secondary insurance becomes primary insurance for you .

As noted, third-party liability insurance is a whole 'nother thing. In a handful of states, car-rental companies must provide you with State minimum primary liability coverage. And, as noted, AARP members who use the AARP discount code when renting from Avis or Budget at participating U.S. locations get primary 25/50/10 liability coverage. But if such low levels of liability coverage are not to your liking, you can either purchase SLI from the car-rental companies each time you rent, or, if you rent cars often enough, get a personal, non-owned-auto liability policy from Travelers or some other insurer. (My policy is with Travelers.) Such policies, when issued to NY residents, automatically include coverage for damage to, or loss of, a rental car, paid out of the policies' property-damage coverage (no deductible). The downside of that is that a credit card which offers secondary coverage will be of no use to you if you have a non-owned-auto liability policy in NY.
amazing detail. appreciated. how much?
Old Jun 4, 19, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

amazing detail. appreciated. how much?
Cost of a personal, non-owned-auto liability policy varies widely, and can depend on your age, driving record, place of residence, etc. Post #24 tells you what one NYC resident's annual premium is. I live in Upstate New York, and I'm currently paying $56/year for 500/500/200 coverage. (My premium is actually $33 every six months, but I get discounts for paying the premium in full up front, and for also having an apartment renter's policy from Travelers. My last six-month premium, after the discounts, was $28.)
SinglePapa2 likes this.

Search this Thread