Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alamo thru Priceline (autoslash)-extra drop fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo thru Priceline (autoslash)-extra drop fee?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Question Alamo thru Priceline (autoslash)-extra drop fee?

I used @AutoSlash to find a 14 day one-way rental and chose Alamo through Priceline. There’s a disclaimer on PL that states there may be additional fees added by Alamo including a drop charge (one way fee). I called Alamo directly to ask what the final price would be and they said it was the same price on my reservation (no extra fees). However, i wasn’t really impressed with the CS rep, so maybe they were wrong? This is for LAS-DEN in July.

1. Has anyone rented through PL with Alamo and was your final price the same amount on your original reservation? I need to know what the final price is so I can shop around. It’s a lot of money.

2. Also, is it correct that I can check in online and skip the counter, adding my spouse as an additional driver for free (NV law) at the exit gate? We need to leave ASAP after arriving so I’m trying to figure all this out.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Tara619; Apr 28, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:13 pm

You can add the additional driver as part of the skip the counter step. They might just verify their driver's license at the exit gate.
Tara619 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:49 pm

In reply to your question...

Originally Posted by Tara619
I used @AutoSlash to find a 14 day one-way rental and chose Alamo through Priceline. There’s a disclaimer on PL that states there may be additional fees added by Alamo including a drop charge (one way fee). I called Alamo directly to ask what the final price would be and they said it was the same price on my reservation (no extra fees). However, i wasn’t really impressed with the CS rep, so maybe they were wrong? This is for LAS-DEN in July.

1. Has anyone rented through PL with Alamo and was your final price the same amount on your original reservation? I need to know what the final price is so I can shop around. It’s a lot of money.

2. Also, is it correct that I can check in online and skip the counter, adding my spouse as an additional driver for free (NV law) at the exit gate? We need to leave ASAP after arriving so I’m trying to figure all this out.

Thanks so much!
I can only share my own experience... I'm a very frequent renter with Alamo (and I live in Las Vegas so am a very frequent renter out of the LAS location), both making reservations directly with Alamo as well as through AutoSlash/Priceline. I often rent one way Alamo cars to the San Francisco area in particular, and have never experienced a drop fee, either on my direct reservations with Alamo, or through Priceline.

After you have your reservation with Alamo, go to the Alamo site and bring up your reservation--you can (a) check-in online (which honestly is meaningless except you can't get to "b" that follows without doing this step first); and (b) then a box will pop up allowing youi to process your request to go direct to the garage, bypassing the counter and kiosk (you'll need to enter your credit card information, etc.). Note, however, the second option does not appear if you wait until the last minute to do so, so you should do so several days in advance of your pickup.

After two divorces, I tend to avoid anything with the word "spouse" in it, so I haven't a clue how Alamo, the State of Nevada, or anyone else treats "spouses", including when it comes to rental cars.

One thing that Alamo does not get enough recognition for, is that they only authorize your credit card for the amount of the anticipated cost of the rental, not an additional deposit.

Also note that after making an Alamo reservation, you can always use the kiosks by the Alamo counter if you didn't process your request to go direct to the garage. The kiosks themselves actually work at LAS and are very quick (note that if you happen to be a resident of Las Vegas, you can NOT use the kiosks to check in--you either have to go to the counter or do the online request to go direct to the garage).

Personally I've never had an issue with AutoSlash and Alamo, or Alamo alone. Alamo is one of my favorite companies for a variety of reasons which I'm not about to elaborate on a public forum (or privately, so forget trying to get it out of me, lol).
Tara619 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:36 pm

btw, with respect to:

"I used @AutoSlash to find a 14 day one-way rental and chose Alamo through Priceline."

Without knowing WHY you would be doing that, doing a 14 day one-way rental is the most INEFFICIENT way [from a pricing perspective] to book a car rental, I can only imagine the premium you're paying for that kind of rental. imho, you really need to think out of the box and come up with a better way to solve your itinerary. I can't imagine under any set of circumstances why I would ever do a "one-way" that lasts 14 days. back to my cave.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

@randix Thanks for the info in your previous reply. We live in Ohio and are going on a family road trip to see many of the National Parks, hence the need for a rental car. We don’t have the time to drive from Ohio so we’re flying to LAS to begin our trip at the Grand Canyon, hitting a bunch of parks on the way up to Yellowstone and over to Badlands, and flying home from Denver. It’s $699 right now for a midsize SUV, which is much better than the $1027 I started out with.
m907 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:23 pm

If you're starting at the Grand Canyon, rather than spending time in Las Vegas itself, maybe compare prices out of Phoenix? If you had done it earlier, there would be an AZ driveout you could probably take advantage of, including, for extra roadtrip adventures, returning all the way home to OH.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:56 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Tara619 the rates we quote include all taxes and mandatory fees, including any one-way drop fees, so rest assured, the confirmed rate your were given is the final rate. If you don't add on any optional items at the rental counter, that is the price you will pay.
Tara619 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.