Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Budget; Extreme price difference from different EU markets

Old Apr 15, 19, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC Bronze LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot

We are in the process of renting a car in Montana during the summer. I was looking at different aggregators rental sites and noticed a big difference, especially with Budget Car rental when using a VPN or even on Budget.com changing my residency to another EU country.

for example:
Stating that I am based in the Netherlands Budget.com quotes a price of 2.482 for a Full size model.

moving over 100km and only changing the search into based in Germany, the price drops to 1.081 for the same car in Montana.

Same car, same class, same dates/pickup time, and I checked that the same (extra) mandatory insurance is also included! (Other car models at budget have a similar price difference)

No BCD or coupons applied yet.

Can i safely book on Budget and pre-pay the fare based on the German site? Or am I overlooking something....?

Last edited by Justin Case; Apr 15, 19 at 3:28 am
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Short answer: Yes you can. Also, no need for VPNs etc. You can simply go to any of the various country-specific websites (budget de, budget.co.uk, budget.ch....) to shop around for prices without having to switch residency around at all.
Pretty much the only difference I have found is that the number of miles included in the price varies. The German site generally offers a 200 mile/day allowance while the UK site includes 300 miles a day in its (higher) price.
Booking and paying through an European site also gives you better protection in case of things going wrong as EU consumer protection law applies.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
Short answer: Yes you can. Also, no need for VPNs etc. You can simply go to any of the various country-specific websites (budget de, budget.co.uk, budget.ch....) to shop around for prices without having to switch residency around at all.
Pretty much the only difference I have found is that the number of miles included in the price varies. The German site generally offers a 200 mile/day allowance while the UK site includes 300 miles a day in its (higher) price.
Booking and paying through an European site also gives you better protection in case of things going wrong as EU consumer protection law applies.

Thanks, both also have the same unlimited mileage.
Because of the insane price difference, i am wondering if I am not overlooking something crucial??

Currently i am booked with Rentalcars.com who have an up to 48hours free cancellation policy. I booked via a German VPN without having to change my residency. So I donít claim to be German, but might have made the booking while being in Germany.

Booking directly with Budget gives me a coupon to upgrade to one car class higher (from Full size to Premium) and cheaper child seats. Making it overall an better deal. But with an $50 cancellation.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:44 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

We have heard of customers getting denied for misrepresenting their home country, but admittedly, it's fairly rate. Usually, you'll be ok.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
We have heard of customers getting denied for misrepresenting their home country, but admittedly, it's fairly rate. Usually, you'll be ok.
And i guess if you pre-pay your booking, that they donít alter that much which might raise questions or re-calculate the rate??

For a couple of bucks I donít want to have a discussion late in the evening after a 20h journey.
Old Apr 17, 19, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Just had a short chat wit a Customer support rep online.
He told me that based on my drivers licenses during pick-up the rate might be re-calculated. I the then made a remark about pre-paying the rental car, he then said if I didnít make any changes or take any extra services, the rate would not be recalculated

I am now considering of cancelling my reservation through a big website and booking directly with Budget. It will only save me a couple of euros, but more importantly I have a coupon for a free upgrade when booking through Budget.
What are the chances of receiving that upgrade? (In my case from Full size to Premium)
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Just like with airlines, booking direct has advantages when things aren't going as expected. No passing-the-blame-games between budget and the third-party agent.
In three decades of renting cars with all the major players out there, I`ve never had issues with rates being recalculated based on any discrepancy between my passport and my drivers' license, and I have held drivers' licenses of different countries than my citizenship/residency for a very long time. Especially with European licenses which are common across the EU anyway, this is a non-issue.
What rental companies don't like is Americans using the all-inclusive tour rates geared at foreign (primarily European) visitors, mainly for insurance reasons. I`ve had issues with both Avis and Dollar regarding this when I reserved and paid for a car that was supposed to be picked up by a local friend. This is something you will find in the fine print of their T&Cs.
Chances of receiving your upgrade depends on local inventory first and foremost (and a little bit on eagerness of staff to accommodate you). Try calling the location directly ahead a day or a few hours before you're scheduled to pick up and inquire about options. you may get lucky.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:33 am
Original Poster

New development. I can get a Standard Elite SUV (Ford Explorer) relatively very cheap in the Nordics! $860 USD for only this category In the same market the next cheapest thing is the smallest class (ford fiesta) for $1050USD both with unlimited free miles and pay now offer (pay at counter is slightly more expensive).

Very strange that a big SUV is so much cheaper than the rest of the rentals, and only in two markets......

Role the dice? or stick with the Full Size car voor $980 USD?
Old Jun 4, 19, 6:00 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Pricing anomalies happen all the time. Sometimes it's intentional (like because they have an overabundance of a particular vehicle), while other times it's unintentional. Regardless, you might as well go for whatever offers the best deal. There shouldn't be any issue with the deal getting honored at the counter.

Search this Thread