LDW Claim Process

Old Mar 16, 19, 8:45 am
Zip
Original Poster

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
LDW Claim Process

I would like some information as to just what is needed, if someone has to file a LDW claim.
To keep it simple, let's assume rental is
--USA only
--damage is minor (dent in car, cracked windshield)
Also, if damage is so hard to detect that one doesn't notice it until car is returned (e.g., small ding on windshield), does that make a difference in reporting the claim?
Does one always have to report the "incident" to the police? Do they really get involved in these "minor" incidences?

In general, I would just like to know actual domestic experiences in filing a LDW claim.
The rental Company's description makes it sound so easy, but I am unable to locate any actual T&C.
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Whether you must file a police report depends on: 1) the particular state in which the damage/accident occurred; 2) the dollar amount of the damage; and 3) the requirements of the credit card issuer's insurance company which provides the coverage.

You should be able to discover claim requirements with either a Google search, or a phone call to the card issuer's Claims Administrator.
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:22 am
Zip
Original Poster

My apologies, I should have been clearer.
I am not asking about claims submitted through your credit card.
Most companies, for an extra fee, offer the LDW that protects one from all car damage.
Pricey, at about $30/day.
I am interested in the process for using this added and separate LDW coverage.
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
My apologies, I should have been clearer.
I am not asking about claims submitted through your credit card.
Most companies, for an extra fee, offer the LDW that protects one from all car damage.
Pricey, at about $30/day.
I am interested in the process for using this added and separate LDW coverage.
​​​​​​
OK. Most people on FT make use of either primary or secondary credit-card rental-car coverage to avoid paying the hefty LDW daily fees that the rental-car companies charge.

If you pay the LDW fee, then, as long as you do not violate the terms of the rental-car agreement, you would simply be expected to fill out the damage report when you return the rental car and walk away. But beware: some rental-car LDW coverage might exclude tires and glass. Ask about exclusions if that matters to you.

Any particular reason why you aren't interested in using credit-card LDW coverage?
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The specifics matter here. They may vary by the rental company and state. Thus, a broad-based hypothetical may provide generally useful information, but won't help OP if there really is damage.

1. Read the specifics of the LDW offered by your rental company and be certain that you understand what is and is not covered as well as what your obligations are.

2. Bear in mind that the above is not a substitute for any state law requirements. Almost all states have reporting requirements when the apparent damage exceeds a specified amount. In some states, failure to report is a misdemeanor crime. My view of this is that unless the damage is self-evidently below your state's requirement, it is far better to report and be done with it than to not report and wind up in a mess later because what you thought was $300 turns out to be $3,000.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 6:28 am
Zip
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
​​​​​​
Any particular reason why you aren't interested in using credit-card LDW coverage?
If the process is simpler, I might consider it, especially if I have multiple family members listed as drivers.
So, does the rental car's LDW have a simpler process, if one has to file a claim? Again, I'm mainly interested in mild-damage claims --
large scratches, dents, cracked windows, etc. Can one minimize one's effort in filing claims with such LDW?
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Zip View Post
If the process is simpler, I might consider it, especially if I have multiple family members listed as drivers.
So, does the rental car's LDW have a simpler process, if one has to file a claim? Again, I'm mainly interested in mild-damage claims --
large scratches, dents, cracked windows, etc. Can one minimize one's effort in filing claims with such LDW?
As someone stated earlier on, there isn't really a claim process, no dealing with insurance. There is of course the "regular" procedure if one has an accident ws mentioned up thread.
However for very minor damage like scratches (that are below the state reporting requirements as mentioned before), you just need to fill out the vehicle incident report, state what happened, and you're good to go.
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The entire conversation would be of greater value if you stated what you were trying to accomplish. Nothing is simple with car rentals or car insurance. The LDW is not a golden ticket. If the process is "simpler" than what?

Search this Thread