Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to ask Enterprise for as compensation for this?

Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: na

So I was pulled over in an Enterprise rental vehicle, and when the cop ran my license plate/tag he found that the tag did not exist. He then thought that either I or Enterprise was doing something shady, so it led to an hour of waiting there to which he then said he will have to seize the tag as it would be illegal for me to continue driving the car without a valid tag. We then called Enterprise, who claimed the tag was valid, even though it isnt according to the cops system and FL license plate system. The cop eventually was nice enough to put the tag back on the car and said to return the vehicle to Enterprise tomorrow morning and explain the situation. Technically this is a big offense of Enterprise's part as they could have gotten into big trouble for giving out a rental vehicle with no valid tag.

He said I should get some sort of compensation from them out of this for the inconvenience. What should I ask for and what's the most Enterprise or any rental company would give me for this? A month of free rental? Free gas, but how would this work if I don't have receipt?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:38 pm

I'd expect the entire rental to be waived.

Given the unusual nature of your situation, you'll have to escalate this way up, though. It may not be worth your time. Personally, I'd ask my corporate travel manager for a high-level contact at Enterprise and go from there.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

The thing is, my rental is already free since my car is in the shop because of an accident, and the other company's insurance is paying for the rental.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:54 pm

Oh, I see. In that case I'd just forget about it, assuming there are no repercussions (tickets, charges etc.) from that police stop.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Oh, I see. In that case I'd just forget about it, assuming there are no repercussions (tickets, charges etc.) from that police stop.

There weren't any repercussions, but my time was wasted for an hour and half almost because of the cops calling and looking in their system. I had to get to a friend's birthday dinner and was late because of that. The cop said I should get something out of it. What's the most that they could give? For something like free gas, how would that work if I don't have receipts?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:39 am

That could actually be grounds for a lawsuit for breach of contract on their part. But that would take a lot of time and money.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:20 am

I just want to say somehow I don't think your cop was a rental car expert. I would try but wouldn't expect much
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Enterprise agents get rated on customer satisfaction upon return. Your branch manager might be able to comp you some days (I've had that happen to me before due to a poor experience).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:27 pm

The concept of Enterprise giving me something, rather than inexplicably charging me for something, is difficult for me to grasp. I need a minute....
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet
I just want to say somehow I don't think your cop was a rental car expert. I would try but wouldn't expect much
What does that have to do with it? If it wasn't a valid license plate that is a very serious thing, enough that OP could reasonably sue Enterprise, doesn't matter if it was on a rental car.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by rajp1
<snio........> The cop said I should get something out of it. ......
Originally Posted by rajp1
So <SNIP......> He then thought that either I or Enterprise was doing something shady<SNIP....>
He said I should get some sort of compensation from them out of this for the inconvenience. What should I ask for and what's the most Enterprise or any rental company would give me for this? A month of free rental? Free gas, but how would this work if I don't have receipt?
Originally Posted by m907
What does that have to do with it? If it wasn't a valid license plate that is a very serious thing, enough that OP could reasonably sue Enterprise, doesn't matter if it was on a rental car.
The OP seems to have a lot of faith in the cop's claim he should get compensation.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'd agree that the OP should get some sort of compensation. This is a huge issue and Enterprise should throw a few days to the OP for the issues they caused. I'd start with a CS contact on their website. if nothing, then head to social media.

On a similar topic, I was near BUF with a gold Toyota a few years ago. I was stopped along a country road to make a conference call. A pickup truck kept passing me. When I finally got off my call and pulled out, a CBP truck pulled me over. He approached with his gun drawn and scared the crap out of me. After finding out it was a rental and my info was legit, he explained the plate was registered to a black Nissan and not the one I was in.

When I returned the car to the small airport where I rented the car, I explained to the manager and we had a good laugh about it. I had a great relationship with them and didn't want to cause any issues, so I didn't go to corporate or go looking for compensation. They were going to double-check all their plates as it could have been an easy error, or the original plate could have been stolen by a non-employee.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would raise it to the local branch manager on return. As there is no compensation due for this, but it's rather up to Enterprise whether it does something by way of a customer service gesture, I'd leave it at whatever they do or don't do. I'm guessing the cops will follow up with Enterprise.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:20 pm

Few months ago I rented a [new] vehicle from National. It had no plates, it did have the pending registration sticker on the front windshield, right side.

About 2am I got pulled over. The officer "demanded" my license and registration, noting my vehicle had no plates. When he discovered it was a rental vehicle, there was a long sigh, said it has been an increasing "issue" with rental car companies. After verifying my rental, I was on my way.

I was ticked, but any kind of compensation the furthest from my mind. Will I pick out a car without plates again, albeit new? You know the answer to that one!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by randix
Few months ago I rented a [new] vehicle from National. It had no plates, it did have the pending registration sticker on the front windshield, right side.

About 2am I got pulled over. The officer "demanded" my license and registration, noting my vehicle had no plates. When he discovered it was a rental vehicle, there was a long sigh, said it has been an increasing "issue" with rental car companies. After verifying my rental, I was on my way.

I was ticked, but any kind of compensation the furthest from my mind. Will I pick out a car without plates again, albeit new? You know the answer to that one!!!!
Comp may not be on your mind, but a pointed letter to the police chief ought to have been. That's disgraceful behavior from a sworn public servant.
"Chief XXX,

<<some platitudes about how the department does important work to keep the community safe>>

I regret to say I was displeased with the conduct of Officer XXX ... I hope you will address the conduct with Officer XXX directly as it was inconsistent with the behavior one expects from a courteous, respectful, and professional police department."
Even if no action is taken, it's good to have that complaint on record.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.