Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using foreign website to get cheaper rate (as US resident) allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I'm a US citizen with a US driver license.

I noticed that if I book a car on enterprise.co.uk (their international site), for a US car rental (in say, Boston), the price is quoted in british pounds etc, and it automatically includes all insurance/liability coverage for the same price in equivalent US dollars had I booked the same on their US .com website.

If I book this, will there be any issues in either honoring the reservation or honoring the coverage if there's an accident (since I'm basically going on their foreign facing website to get the deal). I read all the terms etc and haven't specifically found anything excluding US residents from using a UK website, but I want to be sure.

This question is specifically for Enterprise, but I believe its the same for any other US car rental company also - their foreign websites typically do include insurance in the standard rates.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I've booked US rentals (as a US resident) on rental companies' foreign sites on a number of occasions without any issues, but I've never tried to use the insurance benefits.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:32 am

These threads come up fairly often, and there's never been a definite answer. People have made it work, but no one has reported having to use insurance benefits, so the answer is that anything can happen. Too much of a risk for my taste.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
If you have an accident and need to make an insurance claim (particularly if significant damage to a vehicle and worse, a person) you will find yourself in a very challenging situation. Expect that the insurance coverage will be invalid and you will be personally responsible.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - This is the key.

1. You won't know until you need the insurance. At that point it is too late.
2. Nobody looks carefully at this at the time of the rental because they look very, very carefully if the policy is invoked, e.g. there is an accident.

This is simply a more significantly problematic issue than people who book under discounts to which they are not entitled and ignore the contract provision voiding all coverage if the rental is fraudulent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.