Wiki Posts
Search

Is this an acceptable charge?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Is this an acceptable charge?

I rented a car from Europcar in Oman and when I took the car, I signed the contract agreeing to the rate and paid in full the rental rate and airport fee. I returned the car without incident. A few days later 5 OMR additional charge was applied to my credit card without my consent or informing me; Europcar says it's the Young Driver Fee and they can charge it because it's in the T&C. I say they can't because if there was a Young Driver Fee the time to tell me about it was during booking, check-out, or even when I returned the car, but not 3 days later when I notice unauthorized charges on my credit card, and I argue that a company cannot just decide that there should be extra charges at any arbitrary time after services were delivered and bill me for it. What do you guys think?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: QF WP
I tend to agree with you

however, noting that 5 OMR is around $12 USD, I’d be mindful of the value of my time when deciding whether or not to pursue this
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:25 am

Young driver fees are almost always charged by all major rental companies unless you have a specific contract or promo code that waives it.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:45 am

Europecar just billed us $270 for collision and theft insurance...which we had declined when we rented the car...five months ago! I’m disputing the charge, but I don’t keep the paperwork for that long after the rental. Am I likely to win the dispute just by saying I didn’t agree to insurance or am I out of luck without my copies of the agreement?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Suzzin
Europecar just billed us $270 for collision and theft insurance...which we had declined when we rented the car...five months ago! I’m disputing the charge, but I don’t keep the paperwork for that long after the rental. Am I likely to win the dispute just by saying I didn’t agree to insurance or am I out of luck without my copies of the agreement?
Where was the car rented and how? I think it would be hard to win a dispute without having a copy to show what was accepted to declined.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I rented a car from Europcar in Oman and when I took the car, I signed the contract agreeing to the rate and paid in full the rental rate and airport fee. I returned the car without incident. A few days later 5 OMR additional charge was applied to my credit card without my consent or informing me; Europcar says it's the Young Driver Fee and they can charge it because it's in the T&C. I say they can't because if there was a Young Driver Fee the time to tell me about it was during booking, check-out, or even when I returned the car, but not 3 days later when I notice unauthorized charges on my credit card, and I argue that a company cannot just decide that there should be extra charges at any arbitrary time after services were delivered and bill me for it. What do you guys think?
How would anyone here be able to help you without knowing:
1. Whether you are a "Young Driver" as EuropCar defines it.
2. Whether the contract (t&c) to which you agreed includes such a fee.

If you are a Young Driver and the fee is in the contract, it is entirely appropriate for EuropCar to debit the fee after the return and if you are not or the fee is not in the contract, it is not appropriate.

Let us know and you will get better advice.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Suzzin
I would file the dispute and leave it for EuropCar to provide the documentation that you did agree. You are, of course, SOL if they doctor up some documents showing that you did agree. But, that seems unlikely.You will have smoother sailing with your dispute if you reach out to EuropCar first and ask that it issue a credit. See what they say.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
How would anyone here be able to help you without knowing:
1. Whether you are a "Young Driver" as EuropCar defines it.
2. Whether the contract (t&c) to which you agreed includes such a fee.

If you are a Young Driver and the fee is in the contract, it is entirely appropriate for EuropCar to debit the fee after the return and if you are not or the fee is not in the contract, it is not appropriate.

Let us know and you will get better advice.
I am a young driver as defined by Europcar but the contract I signed had no mention of it and the charge was on top of the amount that I signed and paid for when I rented the car (although I'm sure somewhere in the T&C is says they have the right to charge whatever they want whenever they want for any reason).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I am a young driver as defined by Europcar but the contract I signed had no mention of it and the charge was on top of the amount that I signed and paid for when I rented the car (although I'm sure somewhere in the T&C is says they have the right to charge whatever they want whenever they want for any reason).
So then, caveat emptor.

Chalk it up to a life lesson learned to read the T&C--at $12, it's a pretty cheap lesson...

cheers and happy travels!
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.