Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dollar and Thrifty to allow debit cards for rentals

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

Link to article. Apparently type of card used isn't a good indicator of risk:

Susan Jacobs, the senior vice-president and global brand leader for Dollar Car Rental, told me the company looked at data on its customers by form of payment “with more sophisticated analytics than we’ve ever had” and found paying with a debit card wasn’t a good indicator of risk. That is, they decided they had been alienating potential customers for no good reason. So instead, they’ve decided to attract them, including by sponsoring Ramsey’s radio show with a message about being the debit-card-friendly rental car company.

If Dollar and Thrifty are right about debit cards and customer risk — it’s worth noting, the past debit-card-using customers whose behavior they’ve analyzed comprise a specific set of debit-card holders who have been willing and able to jump through hoops like passing credit checks before rental — then they are making a smart play for an underserved market from which they may be able to gain outsize loyalty.
Personally I wouldn't use a debit card for a car rental but I know a fair number of people who dislike using credit cards that will be pleased by the news. Even if it does mean that a significant amount of money leaves one's bank account for the duration of the rental.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Dollar has apparently partnered with Dave Ramset to evangelize this new position.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.