Third Party Liability for Non-US resident

Old Jan 14, 19, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Third Party Liability for Non-US resident

Hi there

I know there has been a lot of discussion on similar topics but after reviewing quite a few threads I still haven't found an answer for my specific situation - hoping those here can help!

A very similar thread in this forum "PLI for non-US residents"

I am looking to rent a car in USA but need to purchase liability insurance from a third party since our car rental provider does not provide this option.

insurance4carhire.com appears to meet this need however this is only available to UK/EU residents and I am an Australian resident.

Does anyone have experience with obtaining third party liability insurance for car rental in USA that can be purchased by an Australian resident? Note I'm looking for a separate insurance policy rather than the add-on insurance option which is typically available during rental process.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is your car rental "provider"? Are you using a low cost car rental company or going through on OLTA? I would expect the major car rental companies to be willing to sell you whatever insurance is necessary, although perhaps not at a price you like.
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What is your car rental "provider"? Are you using a low cost car rental company or going through on OLTA? I would expect the major car rental companies to be willing to sell you whatever insurance is necessary, although perhaps not at a price you like.
No, not a major car company or third party aggregator, this would be a direct booking with a small independent business and they do not provide additional liability insurance. I assume their typical renters are either those who do not care about obtaining additional liability or are US residents who have additional liability coverage with their existing auto insurance.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:09 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Why not just go through a major company that actually offers liability at the rental counter? This seems like a lot of effort just to use some small independent company where service levels may not be nearly as good as the major well-known brands.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a very bad idea. Either talk with your local insurer and determine whether it has an affiliate which will sell you a policy in the US or rent from an established car rental company and use their coverage. While insurance through a car rental agency is rarely good value, in your case it may be a great deal cheaper than what you are able to purchase through an affiliate if that is even possible for you.

Cheap and inexpensive are sometimes not the same thing.
Old Jan 14, 19, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is a very bad idea. Either talk with your local insurer and determine whether it has an affiliate which will sell you a policy in the US or rent from an established car rental company and use their coverage. While insurance through a car rental agency is rarely good value, in your case it may be a great deal cheaper than what you are able to purchase through an affiliate if that is even possible for you.

Cheap and inexpensive are sometimes not the same thing.
+1.

And if the OP books via the Australian website of a major car-rental company, he will likely be offered an all-inclusive rate that not only includes third-party liability insurance, but also includes a loss/damage waiver for the rental car itself. Those rates often provide very good value.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

The reason I'm considering this small business is because they can guarantee car make/model/accessories that I'm looking for and the major car rentals cannot guarantee this configuration.

In fact the rental costs alone are more expensive from the small business so I'm not necessarily looking for lowest cost option; I'm ok with paying more to get the car I want provided I can also obtain additional personal liability coverage (more than the minimum specified by state law).
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:22 pm

I'm an aussie so have been through some of the same analysis.

As per comments above it comes back to finding a rental company that allows you to purchase the CDW + SLI add ons that you need. The additional cost sucks but you just have to accept it. No one out there seems to offer a competitive alternative that doesnt introduce a whole load of additional complexity if something does go wrong.

BTW i recommend that you try both the Aussie/UK versions and the US versions of the websites. Yes the Aussie/UK ones will package up the insurance but sometimes you can find a better deal direct on the US websites and add the insurance as an 'add on'.

Cheers
Old Jan 16, 19, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WillFlyAnywhere View Post

The reason I'm considering this small business is because they can guarantee car make/model/accessories that I'm looking for and the major car rentals cannot guarantee this configuration.

In fact the rental costs alone are more expensive from the small business so I'm not necessarily looking for lowest cost option; I'm ok with paying more to get the car I want provided I can also obtain additional personal liability coverage (more than the minimum specified by state law).
In what U.S. state do you plan to rent the car?
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
In what U.S. state do you plan to rent the car?
Looking to rent a car in Colorado.

Another avenue I've been investigating is obtaining a Named Non Owner coverage for liability for non-US residents through an insurance broker. I suspect this is actually aimed for those living in U.S. and not really for short term visitors..
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bergsey View Post
I'm an aussie so have been through some of the same analysis.

As per comments above it comes back to finding a rental company that allows you to purchase the CDW + SLI add ons that you need. The additional cost sucks but you just have to accept it. No one out there seems to offer a competitive alternative that doesnt introduce a whole load of additional complexity if something does go wrong.

BTW i recommend that you try both the Aussie/UK versions and the US versions of the websites. Yes the Aussie/UK ones will package up the insurance but sometimes you can find a better deal direct on the US websites and add the insurance as an 'add on'.

Cheers
Agree it looks increasingly complicated and may not be worth pursuing. Yes the simplest option would be SLI provided direct from the rental company but I've yet to find a rental company that can provide desired car specifications as well as this SLI option.

Thanks for the tips on checking out different website versions, will keep this in mind!
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:19 am

Looking to rent a car in Colorado.

Another avenue I've been investigating is obtaining a Named Non Owner coverage for liability for non-US residents through an insurance broker. I suspect this is actually aimed for those living in U.S. and not really for short term visitors..
That is correct. It's meant for US residents and it sometimes can be tough to find even for them. It would be difficult to impossible to get for a short-term visitor.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Very difficult to obtain the coverage you want because it is unlikely that any issuer can justify the underwriting costs for a few days worth of an annual policy. These policies are aimed at people who do not own or lease a vehicle, but rent with some frequency.

Maybe your best approach is to call the outfit from which you are renting and ask if they have encountered the situation and know of some niche solution.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Very difficult to obtain the coverage you want because it is unlikely that any issuer can justify the underwriting costs for a few days worth of an annual policy. These policies are aimed at people who do not own or lease a vehicle, but rent with some frequency.

Maybe your best approach is to call the outfit from which you are renting and ask if they have encountered the situation and know of some niche solution.
Yes I have asked the small business and unfortunately they could not offer much in advice, I'm guessing because they are typically dealing with US residents.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:57 am

What sort of "make/model/accessories" is this provider offering? Maybe someone else here can offer an alternative approach or advice.
cestmoi123 likes this.

Search this Thread