Late flights to DAB and car rentals closed

Old Jan 10, 19, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Late flights to DAB and car rentals closed

I fly somewhat frequently to DAB and require a car rental to get to our beach house (and back) about 45-60 min away, but I can never book the best (and usually cheapest) flight for my work day b/c it arrives in DAB around midnight. All car rental offices are closed. No local offices are open either. What do you all do in these scenarios? Am I missing some option? Can I pay ahead for DIY pick up? I realize this is a stretch, but I'm so frustrated about the problem! If I have to stay the night in DAB, it defeats the point of a quick 2-3 night trip. And forget shuttles or uber...I often have my whole family and we need the car for the whole trip.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 10, 19 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 19, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
The rental agencies I checked (Alamo, Avis) advertise that they close at midnight. Looks like you take that DL flight that arrives at 11:59. In such situations at other airports (posted closing time close to late arrival time) I have called the rental car company directly and they have always told me that they stay open until the late flights arrive.

Have you tried that?
Old Jan 10, 19, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
The rental agencies I checked (Alamo, Avis) advertise that they close at midnight. Looks like you take that DL flight that arrives at 11:59. In such situations at other airports (posted closing time close to late arrival time) I have called the rental car company directly and they have always told me that they stay open until the late flights arrive.

Have you tried that?
I have not. I feel like you user name. LOL. And yes, it's that 11:59 flight. I'll call them and see what they say. We always do carry on so are pretty quick getting out of there.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:33 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Also, ensure your flight number is on the rental. With Avis in situations like that, I call the Chairman desk and am nearly always told that with the flight #, they'll wait until that flight arrives (or have someone come back to meet the flight if it's severely delayed).
Stgermainparis likes this.

Search this Thread