Brand / Models vs Rental Car Company - USA

Old Jan 9, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Brand / Models vs Rental Car Company - USA

There are certain car brands I seek to avoid...so I was hoping to get a listing of which car brands / makes tend to be available at which rental car company. As I know there is a history of relationships there. There are car guides on online, but it is too general. So...maybe others can help? Again, interested in the majority of vehicles (Standard, Mid-Size, Full Size) available at an average location in the USA. Of course, YMMV.

Avis - GM - Chevy

Budget (Owned by Avis) - Ford?

Hertz - Ford (owned by Ford in the past per Wiki)

Dollar / Thrifty - Chrysler

(Wiki) From 1990 to 2009, Dollar Thrifty Automotive primarily rented Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles to customers within the United States. Some locations featured Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota models as well. In October 2009, it was announced the company would move away from use of Chrysler Group vehicles with hope to better diversity their rental fleet.[10] It was announced the fleet would now include Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, and other vehicles.

Enterprise - Chevy
(Last rental years ago was a Chevy Cruze . Wiki notes some controversy with Chevy Impalas in past)

Sixt - Toyota, Mercedes, Volvo, Volkswagen (German)

Advantage Rental Car - Toyota

(Got a RAV4 and Camry recently in AZ). Though they also had Jeep.

Have an upcoming rental at Avis until I realized they often have Chevys, which I try to avoid (let's not get into why). So...going to pay more and rent at Hertz probably.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jan 9, 19 at 1:08 pm
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I don't think the generalizations still exist like they used to for rental fleets. Avis/Budget share a fleet in most locations, so they're hard to differentiate anymore. Also, while Avis/Budget historically had more GM models, it's much more common to see other sedans than GM in the lots. The SUVs are more often GMs, though.

I can't speak in depth for the others as I usually rent from Avis.
randix and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:28 pm

I think you're operating on outdated logic. Pretty much all rental companies have diversified fleets in recent years (other than Silvercar which is Audi only). Plus franchises have different fleets than corporate locations. And the idea of always avoiding one brand is also outdated, IMO. It's very hard to find an unreliable car that won't start or keep you safe in a crash. It's not the 70s and 80s anymore, strict regulations and market forces have forced carmakers to make much better cars.

​​​​​People have weird ideas about cars, one bad experience with one car has a person swearing up and down he will never use that brand again, while another person will swear to always use that same brand because of good experiences. If you want to avoid Chevy cars, you also need to avoid Buick, GMC, and to a lesser extent Cadillac because they are all essentially the same cars with different sheetmetal (though Cadillac shares fewer parts with the other brands).

And with Ford and GM discontinuing most of their sedans, everything's going to change again in a year or two because the rental companies will have to replace their Ford/Chevy sedans with other brands' sedans.
randix and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
As others have noted, the premise of your OP is somewhat outdated (and flawed).
If you look at the AVIS and Hertz fleet threads and this one from National you can see the diversity of manufacturers and vehicles ...
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
As others have noted, the premise of your OP is somewhat outdated (and flawed).
If you look at the AVIS and Hertz fleet threads and this one from National you can see the diversity of manufacturers and vehicles ...
well...I called an Avis location in New Mexico and she told me the vast majority of their mid-size, etc... were Chevys. She mentioned they have Nissan Altimas and one other brand - Toyota?, But very few of those. As for Chevy - specifically the Cruze is one I recall. That's what rung my bell so to speak. The car guides online are not helpful. So Avis = GM = majority Chevy? At least at this particular off airport location - where selection may be less.

Yes, I would also want to avoid Buick, and probably GMC as well based on my research. Don't rent Cadillacs so not sure about that.

I've booked Hertz. The location mentioned mostly Nissan Sentras and Toyota Corollas, with very rarely a Chevy Cruze. Costs a little more...but I have President's Circle status for now...so I reckon I will be treated better than Avis Pref Plus. My last Hertz rental the guy offered me a Jaguar...I declined because I was worried about the Chase VISA card not covering luxury vehicles! Now..if I was using an Amex card with Premium Protection...then maybe I would have gone for it. Never driven a Jaguar before.

As I said no need to get into why I want to avoid these GM makes - there are a couple of very specific technical reasons. I don't know anyone here...but based on past experience on FT - there is a high % chance that you wouldn't understand this technical reason. But...maybe you would...but better to keep my mouth shut on FT.

so...while all companies now may have diverse fleets...maybe certain brands dominate in certain markets?
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post

And with Ford and GM discontinuing most of their sedans, everything's going to change again in a year or two because the rental companies will have to replace their Ford/Chevy sedans with other brands' sedans.
well...that would simplify things going forward for me perhaps. The technical reasons (One of paramount importance to me) that I have become aware of in the last year relates specifically to my experience with 2 Chevys (Impala and Camaro Convertible). I've also read about other people having the same issue with other Chevys...with a GMC Denali as well. Inspired me to download car owner guides and it appears that the technical reason is also in certain Chrysler Jeeps as well...but no way to tell until I actually was in the car. Might not be in any of their newer models...but I don't know that.

Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, and Mercedes appear to be ok....haven't researched other brands.I drive a VW and it is ok...
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by EqualOpp View Post
well...I called an Avis location in New Mexico and she told me the vast majority of their mid-size, etc... were Chevys. She mentioned they have Nissan Altimas and one other brand - Toyota?, But very few of those. As for Chevy - specifically the Cruze is one I recall. That's what rung my bell so to speak. The car guides online are not helpful. So Avis = GM = majority Chevy? At least at this particular off airport location - where selection may be less.

Yes, I would also want to avoid Buick, and probably GMC as well based on my research. Don't rent Cadillacs so not sure about that.

I've booked Hertz. The location mentioned mostly Nissan Sentras and Toyota Corollas, with very rarely a Chevy Cruze. Costs a little more...but I have President's Circle status for now...so I reckon I will be treated better than Avis Pref Plus. My last Hertz rental the guy offered me a Jaguar...I declined because I was worried about the Chase VISA card not covering luxury vehicles! Now..if I was using an Amex card with Premium Protection...then maybe I would have gone for it. Never driven a Jaguar before.

As I said no need to get into why I want to avoid these GM makes - there are a couple of very specific technical reasons. I don't know anyone here...but based on past experience on FT - there is a high % chance that you wouldn't understand this technical reason. But...maybe you would...but better to keep my mouth shut on FT.

so...while all companies now may have diverse fleets...maybe certain brands dominate in certain markets?
It's a futile game. Unless you only deal with independent franchisees or small locations you're never going to know what they have. Corporate rental fleets are interchangeable with one-ways and fleet management systems. I guess the rest of us, and millions of people who drive Chevys, are too dumb to understand the mystical knowledge you possess.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
well...I called an Avis location in New Mexico and she told me the vast majority of their mid-size, etc... were Chevys. She mentioned they have Nissan Altimas and one other brand - Toyota?, But very few of those. As for Chevy - specifically the Cruze is one I recall. That's what rung my bell so to speak. The car guides online are not helpful. So Avis = GM = majority Chevy?
Was this off-airport location a franchise or corporate location? I wouldn't generalize all of Avis because one small outstation that doesn't have many vehicles and might be a franchise.

The Jaguars I've had at Hertz were pathetic: XE without any options. 2018 models without any newer safety features (backup camera/sensors, front sensors, lane departure warning, automatic braking, etc etc.). And the back seat/trunk were tiny. If you booked intermediate or larger, I wouldn't consider it an upgrade just because of a badge.

but based on past experience on FT - there is a high % chance that you wouldn't understand this technical reason.
Wow, way to generalize everyone here on FT as unintelligent/unable to understand a "technical reason". I guess after reading this sentence, it doesn't surprise me that you generalize nationwide rental fleets based upon what one agent said is on the lot of one small outstation at one particular point in time.
strickerj, klanfa, randix and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Wow, way to generalize everyone here on FT as unintelligent/unable to understand a "technical reason".
My guess is that it's an issue with in-car WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29178749-post7.html).
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:33 am

In the past few months, the brands I've rented from Hertz have included Jeep, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Hyundai, Kia, and Chrysler.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
My guess is that it's an issue with in-car WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29178749-post7.html).
A lot of cars have hotspots these days, can't they be disabled?
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:02 pm

A lot of cars have hotspots these days, can't they be disabled?
I'm not sure, honestly. The modems certainly can't, since the automakers use them for data gathering.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

It's a futile game. Unless you only deal with independent franchisees or small locations you're never going to know what they have. Corporate rental fleets are interchangeable with one-ways and fleet management systems. I guess the rest of us, and millions of people who drive Chevys, are too dumb to understand the mystical knowledge you possess.
actually..not mystical...just arrogance of others...at some point in certain circles you get tired of repeating something and being ridiculed for it. Like I said...maybe you (or anyone else) would understand.
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:03 am

actually..not mystical...just arrogance of others...at some point in certain circles you get tired of repeating something and being ridiculed for it. Like I said...maybe you (or anyone else) would understand.
So why don't you post what it is? This is a discussion forum after all.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 7:16 am

actually..not mystical...just arrogance of others...
Your choice of words baffles me. You question the intelligence of everyone on here and then claim others are arrogant 🙄

Search this Thread