Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ft Lauderdale Airport - Alamo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Ft Lauderdale Airport - Alamo

Coming off a cruise and the FLL location is less money than off site. From what I'm reading a taxi can't simply drop me at the rental site at the airport??
Anyone done this?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AGR, DL tin-foil (FO)
I haven't done this, since FLL is my home airport and I don't have a need to rent cars there. But based on the signage (Buses and Authorized Vehicles Only), it doesn't look like a taxi can technically drive you up to the garage where the rental car counters are located.

Having said that, there's a pretty easy solution. Have the taxi drop you at the departures level for Terminal 1, go inside, take the escalator down one level, and walk across the enclosed pedestrian bridge to the rental car center.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9572
I haven't done this, since FLL is my home airport and I don't have a need to rent cars there. But based on the signage (Buses and Authorized Vehicles Only), it doesn't look like a taxi can technically drive you up to the garage where the rental car counters are located.

Having said that, there's a pretty easy solution. Have the taxi drop you at the departures level for Terminal 1, go inside, take the escalator down one level, and walk across the enclosed pedestrian bridge to the rental car center.
We have someone in a wheelchair so this would be tough for us to do
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by cruisinfanatic
We have someone in a wheelchair so this would be tough for us to do
Call the Alamo or National station and ask them how a non-airplane user can access the rental car center...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Or ask how how to get from the terminal to the rental car center with a wheelchair. Surely either the airport or the rental company provides accessible transit?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
A taxi can drive into the garage as if you were returning a rental car. Then they can just let you out before the area where you drive in over the spikes. Then go inside to pick up your rental.

The taxi can just exit the garage just fine. I’ve dropped people off inside the garage like this many times at FLL.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:51 pm

The last time I took a cab to pick up a rental car (at Alamo, actually) at the Fort Lauderdale International Airport, the taxi dropped me off right at the door to the Rental Car Center. I would imagine that's not very unusual.

That said, jcm9572's suggestion of getting let out at Terminal 1 and taking the pedestrian bridge over to the Rental Car Center is a solid one. Instead of an escalator, just use the elevator. You are going to have to use at least one elevator anyway because the Alamo desk is on a different floor from where the roads (either arrivals or departures) are located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.