Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

If I rent a car for 22 hrs can I extend it to 24 hrs w/o extra fees?

Old Dec 9, 18, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Say I rent a car with a pickup date of tomorrow at 12 noon and an end date/time of 10am the next day. Flight gets delayed and I return car at 12 noon. Is there an extra fee, since cost for 22 hrs is the same as 24 hrs?
Old Dec 9, 18, 9:37 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

No there is not. Rentals are priced based on a 24-hour day, so in this case there would not be any extra charge. Note however that some companies have started charging if you return more X hours past the scheduled return time, so it's often in your best interest to book in full-day increments. Read more about each rental company's policies here.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 10, 18 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:23 am
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
No there is no. Rentals are priced based on a 24-hour day, so in this case there would not be any extra charge. Note however that some companies have started charging if you return more X hours past the scheduled return time, so it's often in your best interest to book in full-day increments. Read more about each rental company's policies here.
Thanks for the info!!
Old Dec 11, 18, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Say I rent a car with a pickup date of tomorrow at 12 noon and an end date/time of 10am the next day. Flight gets delayed and I return car at 12 noon. Is there an extra fee, since cost for 22 hrs is the same as 24 hrs?
Be careful with this, though. At least at some airlines at some airports, flights can get "undelayed"! (I seen drastic cases of 3+ hour delays totally disappearing -- plus cancelled flights being reinstated -- with Southwest, and I've seen at least some amount of delay being rescinded with AA.) In that case, if you hold off on going to the airport assuming that the flight is delayed, and it gets "undelayed" in the meantime, you could miss the flight!
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:47 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
I would call the company and make this change in your booking (or do it on their website/app). This sort of change doesn't usually cost money.

I wouldn't recommend just returning it two hours 'late' without letting them now.
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:50 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
I would call the company and make this change in your booking (or do it on their website/app). This sort of change doesn't usually cost money.
It depends on the company. With Hertz you can do it for no rate change. With others, if the price has gone up since you booked, any change will result in a re-price. Returning a the 24-hour mark on a 22-hour rental will never cause a price increase. We base this on our experience with many thousands of rentals.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread