FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rental Car Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion-745/)
-   -   two week car rental questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion/1941237-two-week-car-rental-questions.html)

njxbean Nov 18, 2018 7:46 pm

two week car rental questions

Question. Any suggestions/tips/tricks for a longish term rental(two weeks)? Do companies offer deals for longer rentals? Any companies better than others at this? Ideally i would be renting with Hertz since i have status but im open to switching if it will save me money.

Another question. We will be renting it in Australia. Typically in the states we decline the insurance as its covered under our CC/car insurance. Do CC/Insurance typically cover you for out of country rentals? (i suppose this is a question for me CC company but i figured i would ask).

rbwpi Nov 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Keep in mind that some credit cards do not provide insurance coverage for rentals more than two weeks in duration.

jrl767 Nov 18, 2018 8:58 pm

don’t know about Australia, but OP might check if Hertz has off-airport locations where (as in US) there are lower surcharges/fees

lhrsfo Nov 19, 2018 3:53 am

Two weeks is not a long rental - indeed is fairly standard for vacation rentals. Not sure where the OP is from (could be the UK from the Location marker, or perhaps the USA), but for insurance purposes it's best to use a rental site based in the country of origin since the package will normally contain the insurances that will be required for typical renters from that country.

pinniped Nov 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Read your CC fine print on rental cars. There are occasionally country exclusions, and sometimes Australia is on that list. Your different credit cards might have different rules, so don't just read one set of fine print and assume it's the same for your other cards. IIRC, Citi cards are better (fewer exclusions) than most other cards.

Most of my CC's cover for up to a 1-month rental and for any normal car category. If you're thinking about renting an unusual car, look for fine print on exclusions because of that. Exotic cars, trucks larger than a pickup, or anything primarily designed for offroading is often not covered.

Sometimes it's cheaper to break a 2-week rental into two 1-week rentals, simply because rental agencies often have coupons/promos for 1-week rentals. Worth a look if you are remaining in the vicinity of the rental location and a car-swap is feasible.

njxbean Nov 19, 2018 6:04 pm

great tips thus far thanks!

petomoo Dec 5, 2018 5:28 am

Good catch. Looks like the Chase Sapphire Reserve is only for rentals less than 31 consecutive days. I din't know this.