Compare rates with coupons?

Old Nov 17, 18, 10:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Question Compare rates with coupons?

I found a site last week and neglected to bookmark it. I could've sworn it was Rentalcars.com, as underneath the logo it said "Powered by Priceline.com" or "Sponsored by Priceline.com".
The biggest differentiator from every other site out there was that you could input coupon code(s) for each brand and compare based on the coupon'ed rate.
Wilfried Reinhild is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:53 am
  #2  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,643
Rentalcars.com is owned by Priceline but they don't support coupons and discount codes. You may be thinking about Airportrentalcars.com which is also owned by Priceline. You can enter coupons and discount codes directly into Priceline's website at this page and we've got a list of coupons on our website here.

All of that said, your best bet is to just use the link below to put in a request at AutoSlash. Instead of wasting your time searching for and trying different coupons and discount codes, our system can figure out the best codes for any given rental in a few minutes and email you with links to book it.
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Rentalcars.com is owned by Priceline but they don't support coupons and discount codes. You may be thinking about Airportrentalcars.com which is also owned by Priceline. You can enter coupons and discount codes directly into Priceline's website at this page and we've got a list of coupons on our website here.
Thanks, this helps!
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
All of that said, your best bet is to just use the link below to put in a request at AutoSlash. Instead of wasting your time searching for and trying different coupons and discount codes, our system can figure out the best codes for any given rental in a few minutes and email you with links to book it.
Two issues with your site. First, when clicking on the link to reserve for one brand it takes me to listings from a completely different brand (not even the same subsidiary). I'll DM you a link. Second, you don't show what codes are actually being used, so I have zero confidence that they are the best links versus the "retail" rates you'd find anywhere else.
WilfriedReinhild is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:50 pm
  #4  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by WilfriedReinhild View Post
Thanks, this helps!
Two issues with your site. First, when clicking on the link to reserve for one brand it takes me to listings from a completely different brand (not even the same subsidiary). I'll DM you a link.
The link is a deep-link to Priceline's site that has the requisite discount information embedded in it. It's effectively the same thing as going to Priceline's homepage and typing in all your rental information, copying and pasting the discount codes in, and clicking search.

It isn't an "exclusive" link that only searches the selected company. In your case, if you click the Alamo button, it'll show you the discounted rates with Alamo, but if other options are cheaper (as, in your case, Sixt and Fox are), they'll show up above the Alamo result. From your search, note the red arrow showing the matching rate with Alamo. Also note the dashed purple rate for the Fox rate--Priceline has a different rate for Fox because the Alamo link you clicked doesn't have the Fox discount code embedded in it. If you click the Fox result instead, we'll pass the Fox discount code over to Priceline, and Priceline would show the $58 rate for Fox instead of the $61 rate shown in this screenshot.



If you're having trouble finding the rate on our quote (on the left) on Priceline itself (on the right), you can use the filters on the left side of Priceline's page to narrow the results down to what we found, like so:



One enhancement we're looking at is the ability to deep link you directly to the check-out page for your requested company and car size. We initially shied away from that because we felt there was value in people being able to see that a car three sizes bigger is only $1 more a day or something, but there seems to be some demand for it, so we're looking at adding it. That would help make it easier to quickly book exactly what we found.

Originally Posted by WilfriedReinhild View Post
Second, you don't show what codes are actually being used, so I have zero confidence that they are the best links versus the "retail" rates you'd find anywhere else.
Color us a little confused at what you're saying or asking here.

The proof should easily be in the pudding. Just go to another site like Expedia or directly to Alamo/Thrifty/Budget/whatever.com and plug in your dates. You'll almost certainly see higher ("retail"/undiscounted) rates than we find and quote. I'm not really sure where "confidence" even comes into play--either our rates are cheaper than retail undiscounted rates or they're not, and it's pretty easy to see that they are.

Note that results may vary if you're accessing Priceline from overseas--some foreign markets have access to different inventory than US residents see. Also, a few of the lower-end discount companies don't do much with coupon codes, so rates with them may sometimes be the same as undiscounted retail rates. Ultimately, just having the lowest final after-tax price is the only thing that really matters, and so if you find something better than we did, by all means, book it! But don't forget to do yourself a favor and pop it into http://www.autoslash.com/track in case the price drops even lower after you book.

If I'm missing your point, feel free to clarify.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Nov 20, 18 at 7:05 pm
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:36 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,872
@ autoslash, i need standard size between Dec 27th-Jan 4th, pick up drop off at around 1pm at san diego airport. What's the best rate? I have costco and the credit cards of all brand. I can't find anything for lower then $300.
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
Smile Ya know...

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
@ autoslash, i need standard size between Dec 27th-Jan 4th, pick up drop off at around 1pm at san diego airport. What's the best rate? I have costco and the credit cards of all brand. I can't find anything for lower then $300.
as it turns out, autoslash has a site to request just that information... you may have heard of it... autoslash.com

randix is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,872
yeah but no deal there, rate is same as direct rental website prices
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:07 pm
  #8  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
yeah but no deal there, rate is same as direct rental website prices
Confused????? Have you actually done a comparison or are you just speculating? This couldn't be further from the truth. You might want to put in a random set of dates/location and see for yourself. Please do report back on your results.
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:13 pm
  #9  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,643
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
@ autoslash, i need standard size between Dec 27th-Jan 4th, pick up drop off at around 1pm at san diego airport. What's the best rate? I have costco and the credit cards of all brand. I can't find anything for lower then $300.
The best rates were seeing right now are about $365 for a standard car but rates change all the time, so if you've got an existing reservation around $300 then you might want to track it using the link below and we'll let you know if we find anything lower.
AutoSlash is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread