Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental location at San Diego airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Where are the Car rental location at San Diego airport?

Are the car rental location at the airport terminal? or have to catch some bus from airport terminal? Don't prefer something that is far away since with are family with child.

I am booking thru Avis , Hertz or Alamo. Thanks

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Oct 27, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reason: Add more
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
It's an off-site facility, and there's a bit of a hike to get to where the rental car buses depart for the rental car facility, too. What you should do then is just you go get the car, and have them wait arrivals curbside, then pick them up after you've picked up the car.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

All car rental companies are in the same parking structure. There is a car rental shuttle that is not specific to the rental company. It runs within the airport property . Look at the P between Pacific Highway and Admiral Boland Way on this map to get a sense of where it is.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

so catch any rental shuttle bus from the airport? How far is the bus ride? Thanks. They run every few mins all day?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
- Yes. Once you go up and over and down (you'll see; follow the signs) look for the "Rental Car Shuttle"

- 8-10 mins, I guess

- Yes
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Last time I was in SD there was a very long line waiting for the bus to take you to the rental car structure.
give yourself some extra time especially on the way back between returning the car and getting back to the terminal.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My flights to SAN have been arriving after lunch and shuttle to car rental have been a maximum of 3 minutes wait. Bus is full size and quite easy/pleasant. As SanDiego1K described - rental area quite good. Choose whatever rental company there fits your car/pricing preferences. About 2-3 minutes to freeway if you are going that direction.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I haven't booked any car yet. Trying to book with my UA miles, very expensive with miles but I got to save money here.

I have my wife, myself and a 4 years old autistic child. Can three of us really cross the terminal, walk to the shuttle bus waiting area with stroller with lagguages and a special needs child that always need our hand to hold him?
Or take taxi, uber straight to hotel first , get them settled and then I take a ride back to the airport to pick up the rental car?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:48 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I haven't booked any car yet. Trying to book with my UA miles, very expensive with miles but I got to save money here.

I have my wife, myself and a 4 years old autistic child. Can three of us really cross the terminal, walk to the shuttle bus waiting area with stroller with lagguages and a special needs child that always need our hand to hold him?
Or take taxi, uber straight to hotel first , get them settled and then I take a ride back to the airport to pick up the rental car?
Why not avoid all the hassle and rent near your hotel? You can book a one-way rental returning back to the airport. On the way back, drop the family at the terminal with the bags and stroller and then return the car yourself and take the shuttle back.

Not sure how far your hotel is from the airport, but you may save a decent amount on airport taxes/fees, so this may offset the taxi/Uber/Lyft costs.

In terms of the cost, frequent flyer miles are often one of the poorest redemption options. If you've got them to burn, then go for it, but it's highly advisable to check the best discounted rate you can first and then compare the value of the points you'll be expending, as they may be better put to use on flights for a future trip.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:20 pm

I stayed at the Homewood Suites hotel in Liberty which is about 5 minutes drive from the airport. and they have a shuttle.
It is difficult to walk with a 4 year old in any case and only you understand how your child may react to noise, a long line, pushing and tons of people.
Maybe going to the hotel with a shuttle, leaving the family to explore the hotel and settle into some kind of routine and then you going to pick up the car is a much easier option for you, your wife but especially your child.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
I stayed at the Homewood Suites hotel in Liberty which is about 5 minutes drive from the airport. and they have a shuttle.
It is difficult to walk with a 4 year old in any case and only you understand how your child may react to noise, a long line, pushing and tons of people.
Maybe going to the hotel with a shuttle, leaving the family to explore the hotel and settle into some kind of routine and then you going to pick up the car is a much easier option for you, your wife but especially your child.
I think that's what I should do! I have to reach out to the hotel about the shuttle time and the airport pick up location. If we can easily catch the hotel shuttle at the airport with our child, and lagguages, we will do that and then take taxi/uber back to the airport car rental location to pick up a car. Should I avoid the car rental at the airport since they are not located inside the airport and they charge extra tax and fees? Should I rent somewhere close to the Homewood Suites liberty station? Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:48 pm

I don't know if you can rent close by
If the family is settling in the hotel, you can take the hotel shuttle to the airport and then the car rental shuttle to the building.
I usually rent with Avis and it lets you pick the rental location closest to your address. My guess is the uber would cost around $10 from the hotel to the rental building. might be worth the extra money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.