New EU fuel markings effective October 12th 2018

Old Oct 12, 18, 5:09 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
New EU fuel markings effective October 12th 2018

The fuel pumps in Europe will look quite different starting today. Will be good to read up before your next EU rental.

As of 12 October 2018, throughout all 28 European Union member states, the EEA countries (Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway), Macedonia, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey, a new common and harmonised set of fuel labels will be compulsory for use on newly produced vehicles and at all filling stations dispensing petrol, diesel, hydrogen, compressed natural gas, liquefied natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas fuels, as well as at vehicle dealerships.

These labels will be placed on the nozzles of all filling pumps, on the pumps themselves and in the immediate proximity of the fuel filler flap/cap of newly produced passenger cars, mopeds, motorcycles, tricycles and quadricycles, light commercial vehicles, heavy-duty commercial vehicles and buses and coaches. They should also appear in the vehicle owner's manual, and they may appear in the electronic handbook available via a vehicle's infotainment centre.
Link: European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - New EU fuel marking: questions and answers

Gasoline-type fuels: circle. E5, E10, etc. (E stands for specific bio-components present in petrol);

Copyright and Source European Committee for Standardization

Diesel-type fuels: square. B7, B10, XTL, etc. (B stands for specific biodiesel components present in diesel, the XTL stands for synthetic diesel and indicates that it is not derived from crude oil);

Gaseous-type fuels (e.g. CNG, LNG, LPG and hydrogen): diamond.

More info over at Euronews: https://www.euronews.com/2018/10/12/...u-need-to-know

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 12, 18 at 5:29 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:21 am
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
As this doesn't really pertain to Hertz rentals, I moved the thread to general car rentals.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz mod
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So are the rental companies putting something in rentals cars made earlier to explain which fuel (going by the new notations) to use?
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:30 am

No need for rental companies to change anything. As far as the customer is concerned, you only need to know if your vehicle uses unleaded (petrol / gasoline) or diesel - and all the rental companies already put stickers on the fuel tank filler cap.
The people who care are folk who own something like an older Japanese superbike. These can't cope with high ethanol levels.
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs View Post
No need for rental companies to change anything. As far as the customer is concerned, you only need to know if your vehicle uses unleaded (petrol / gasoline) or diesel - and all the rental companies already put stickers on the fuel tank filler cap.
The people who care are folk who own something like an older Japanese superbike. These can't cope with high ethanol levels.
Oh, so in Europe there's no multiple octanes (like in the USA) where some cars can use lower octanes but other cars can only use higher octanes? And all rental cars are compatible with any percentage of biofuel?

I've gotten cars in the USA which say I have to use a certain octane which is not the lowest octane at many gas stations.

And I've heard that some cars in the USA do not work well with high percentages of biofuel (but then in the USA those are not that commonly available at pumps).
Old Oct 17, 18, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Oh, so in Europe there's no multiple octanes (like in the USA) where some cars can use lower octanes but other cars can only use higher octanes? And all rental cars are compatible with any percentage of biofuel?

I've gotten cars in the USA which say I have to use a certain octane which is not the lowest octane at many gas stations.

And I've heard that some cars in the USA do not work well with high percentages of biofuel (but then in the USA those are not that commonly available at pumps).
This seems to imply that there are multiple octanes available. Of course, YMMV.
Old Oct 18, 18, 12:26 am

There are different octane options.
If it was my own high performance vehicle, I'd probably pay for the higher octane. But on a rental car - if it's a petrol car - just stick in the cheapest petrol. You can be sure that is what the previous customer did.....

Search this Thread