Bogus debt collection in US on French car rental

Old Oct 8, 18, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Bogus debt collection in US on French car rental

Rented from a car company in France that falsely claimed $1200 in dings to a car I rented, plus $700 for a worn-out clutch. The clutch part is possibly legit; we had issues when the car's navigation system directed us down a steep, narrow one-way street that was closed at the bottom. Backing up was... interesting. Wondered if we'd have to get helicoptered out! No dings from that though. Rental was in July 2017.

Got my CC company involved (Chase) and the rental car company took forever to accept them as the party to deal with. The CC company requested all manner of documents and finally requested that I write the car rental firm directly, asking them to get things moving. On January 4th I get notice from RMS, a US collection agency, that I owe $3000+ (the original billing was about $1800, for what it's worth). This while Chase was dealing with the rental company. Chase CC services told me to hold off on paying the clutch part while the other stuff was in play, because there was no documentation from the collection company separating the two.

Finally, a few months after that notice, the rental car company accepts a check from the CC for the collision part of the claim. The collection agency of course continues to send me notices for the total amount.. I dispute that and a series of letters come my way saying the same thing with varying but escalating amounts due.

Was it legal for the rental car company in France to sell my "debt" to a US collection agency while I was corresponding with them, explaining that it was being handled by Chase CC (whose attempts to settle were ignored)? Thanks-

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 9, 18 at 8:12 am Reason: Rental date incorrect; now fixed
Old Oct 8, 18, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may have been that Chase should not have paid the car rental company if the car rental company had already sold the debt and it may now be that the car rental company must forward the amount paid by Chase to the debt collector or that the debt collector must cease attempting to collect that portion of the debt.

You will likely have the best result if you get Chase involved.

Also, remember that the matter now relates only to the clutch and you have acknowledged that you may be responsible for that.

It is often possible to resolve debt collection matters for a fraction of what is sought. At the same time, the passage of time can seriously damage your credit.

I would contact Chase, see if they will handle the clutch issue. If not, call the debt collector and offer some reasonable portion of the clutch, e.g. $500 and, if it is accepted, memorialize that in writing and pay it immediately.
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It may have been that Chase should not have paid the car rental company if the car rental company had already sold the debt and it may now be that the car rental company must forward the amount paid by Chase to the debt collector or that the debt collector must cease attempting to collect that portion of the debt.

You will likely have the best result if you get Chase involved.

Also, remember that the matter now relates only to the clutch and you have acknowledged that you may be responsible for that.

It is often possible to resolve debt collection matters for a fraction of what is sought. At the same time, the passage of time can seriously damage your credit.

I would contact Chase, see if they will handle the clutch issue. If not, call the debt collector and offer some reasonable portion of the clutch, e.g. $500 and, if it is accepted, memorialize that in writing and pay it immediately.
Great minds think alike. Chase has already said the clutch is a separate issue, but it would still be a good idea to get the exact date they started correspondence with the rental company in France and when payment was finally accepted. $500 is exactly the figure I was going to propose. Thanks-
Old Oct 9, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Rental was in July 2018, but you got a letter on January 4th?
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
I think you mean July 2108.
Old Oct 9, 18, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
The rental was a McLaren and the damage was done accelerating to 88mph on that one-way descent, taking me back to the future?

Yes, rental was in July 2107. :-)
cestmoi123 likes this.

Search this Thread