Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help from the experts 3 days LAS to LAX

Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Looking to rent an SUV for 2.5-3 days from LAS dropping off at LAX. The drop off fees have been painful, so hoping someone might have an insider tip or knows of a better deal. Dates are December 29th AM pick up, and dropping off either PM Dec 31 or AM Jan 1. I can do either one if it can be a bit cheaper. I say SUV, but any large vehicle capable of handling 2 adults, 2 small children, 3 big suitcases, and 2 carryons is fine. I have Visa Infinite (Sapphire Reserve) and Mastercard World Elite (Citi Prestige) if either of those help. I also have access to Costco and Sam's Club if those benefits are transferable (relative rents for me, and I drive and drop off). If there is another discount option that I'm not aware of, I'd also be happy to look into it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:45 am

Strange. Those of us who have to book through consolidators (mainly Europe based I believe) to get all inclusive rates (CDW etc) usually find one way fees are NOT charged NV to CA.... (or within CA)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:07 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

What's the best rate you've found all-in?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:10 pm

Your mileage may vary...

Originally Posted by baroqen
Looking to rent an SUV for 2.5-3 days from LAS dropping off at LAX. The drop off fees have been painful, so hoping someone might have an insider tip or knows of a better deal. Dates are December 29th AM pick up, and dropping off either PM Dec 31 or AM Jan 1. I can do either one if it can be a bit cheaper. I say SUV, but any large vehicle capable of handling 2 adults, 2 small children, 3 big suitcases, and 2 carryons is fine. I have Visa Infinite (Sapphire Reserve) and Mastercard World Elite (Citi Prestige) if either of those help. I also have access to Costco and Sam's Club if those benefits are transferable (relative rents for me, and I drive and drop off). If there is another discount option that I'm not aware of, I'd also be happy to look into it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
but I have to say, as a resident of Vegas, I frequently do one way rentals OUT of Vegas, usually over to the Bay Area, but occasionally over to LA or San Diego, and can't ever remember paying a drop fee (and I never would). The rates out of Vegas are usually ridiculously low, it's renting cars TO Vegas, that are usually high (and why I usually hop on Allegiant out of Monterey for the return trip). Don't know where you are getting your rates, but that may be your issue, have you tried Autoslash? Also, depending on your itinerary sometimes it makes sense on one way rentals to do it for ONE day, get to your destination, and then do a LOCAL rental for the remainder of your trip. Obviously it depends on what you're doing...

S
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by randix; Oct 3, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
but I have to say, as a resident of Vegas, I frequently do one way rentals OUT of Vegas, usually over to the Bay Area, but occasionally over to LA or San Diego, and can't ever remember paying a drop fee (and I never would). The rates out of Vegas are usually ridiculously low, it's renting cars TO Vegas, that are usually high (and why I usually hop on Allegiant out of Monterey for the return trip). Don't know where you are getting your rates, but that may be your issue, have you tried Autoslash? Also, depending on your itinerary sometimes it makes sense on one way rentals to do it for ONE day, get to your destination, and then do a LOCAL rental for the remainder of your trip. Obviously it depends on what you're doing...

S
Thanks for the tips. What company do you usually use, and how much would something like a 3 day rental cost (usually). Bearing in mind that I need something like a mid-sied or standard SUV due to luggage, which is one of the things making it so expensive. The cheapest I found so far, all in was from Fox. I can't remember the exact amount but it was something just under $300, and $160 of it was the drop fee.

We will be going from Vegas directly to Anaheim for two nights. Then LAX for one night and taking a noon flight.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:21 pm

We're seeing rates as low as $267 with Sixt for a Fullsize car or $290 for an Intermediate SUV. Use the link below to get a discounted rate quote.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

I tried a quote on autoslash. Got a slightly lower one at Fox and Sixt (under $270) on rentalcars.com or carrentals.com, can't remember which one.
I think I might end up trying Sixt, as I can get Platinum status with my Citi Prestige card. Thanks for your help with Autoslash, I'll also check you guys out again in the future when I need another vehicle.
Randix was also correct with a one day, one way and a separate local rental but my wife has zero patience so I think I'll skip her complaining if I do that. Great tip for the future though.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by baroqen
I tried a quote on autoslash. Got a slightly lower one at Fox and Sixt (under $270) on rentalcars.com or carrentals.com, can't remember which one.
I think I might end up trying Sixt, as I can get Platinum status with my Citi Prestige card. Thanks for your help with Autoslash, I'll also check you guys out again in the future when I need another vehicle.
Randix was also correct with a one day, one way and a separate local rental but my wife has zero patience so I think I'll skip her complaining if I do that. Great tip for the future though.
We've got some Sixt coupons here. Sometimes you can use them to get a lower rate directly on Sixt.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.