Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Enterprise PHX collision-damage waiver shenanigans

Enterprise PHX collision-damage waiver shenanigans

Old Sep 26, 18, 12:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Enterprise PHX collision-damage waiver shenanigans

I've always been a loyal Enterprise customer, having had them, on a number of occasions, go above and beyond the call of duty. So my recent experience at PHX was like a slap in the face. I seek advice on the best way to redress this grievance.

They are claiming that although I waived the "personal accident", "supplemental liability", and "roadside protection" coverages, I DID purchase the "collision damage" waiver; thus I had an unexpected extra charge of $264 when I returned the car (8 days @ $24.99/day, plus tax). An initial inquiry via email at the website yields the response that the "rental agreement" shows I accepted collision-damage insurance. I have no doubt that is the case, but I believe I was essentially conned into signing up for this. We all know that normally when you pick up your car, the agent asks if you want these coverages, you then say "no" (if you believe you're backstopped by your personal auto insurance), and the agent has you initial in several places before your actual signature; normally I just do as they say, trusting they will respect my stated wishes, and being tired from my flight and in a hurry. So apparently I did not initial in the correct places. I believe there was malice involved here, as the agent was FAR more pushy that usual (I normally have almost no push-back on the waivers) when I declined the coverages. When I returned the car, I noticed a charge on the receipt, said something to the agent, and he basically said "it's all good"; being in a hurry to catch my flight of course, and my glasses packed way, I didn't scrutinize it. Obviously I bear some responsibility for all this, but I believe my main fault was in simply trusting the representatives of a company that has always treated me well. I am most angry.

A further wrinkle to this, is that I booked this car through Autoslash and prepaid it through them. So there was supposed to be zero due directly to Enterprise, assuming I didn't owe for any gas, extra stuff like GPS, and of course the various insurances. And indeed the collision-damage waiver was the only charge I paid directly to Enterprise upon returning the car.

So, which of these should I do, and in what sequence:

1. Contact Autoslash. Say they should go to bat for me against Enterprise, as it was my understanding the car was fully paid for.
2. Contact the manager of the Sky Harbor branch of Enterprise, and give them a chance to make good before I escalate to the main office. This being by far the pushiest that Enterprise has ever been with me on the optional coverages, I wonder if there's some local issue here (though I've rented at PHX before without issue).
3. Contact the main Enterprise customer-service people, probably by telephone.
4. Forget 1, 2, and 3, and just dispute the charge with my credit card company; I've usually had quite good luck with this. The problem is, I used a brand new credit card (BofA Amtrak MC), instead of my "everyday" Citi card on which I've charged $15,000 or so annually for some years.

Thanks for reading my long tale of woe and for any good advice !

Last edited by RustyShackleford1; Sep 26, 18 at 12:57 pm
RustyShackleford1 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:10 am
  #2  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,540
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1 View Post
So, which of these should I do, and in what sequence:

1. Contact Autoslash. Say they should go to bat for me against Enterprise, as it was my understanding the car was fully paid for.
2. Contact the manager of the Sky Harbor branch of Enterprise, and give them a chance to make good before I escalate to the main office. This being by far the pushiest that Enterprise has ever been with me on the optional coverages, I wonder if there's some local issue here (though I've rented at PHX before without issue).
3. Contact the main Enterprise customer-service people, probably by telephone.
4. Forget 1, 2, and 3, and just dispute the charge with my credit card company; I've usually had quite good luck with this. The problem is, I used a brand new credit card (BofA Amtrak MC), instead of my "everyday" Citi card on which I've charged $15,000 or so annually for some years.
#1 : Not sure how that will help. They are just your booking place, and don't have anything to do with what you agreed to at the counter.
#2 : I'd try this first.
#3 : If #2 doesn't get you a happy resolution, then you're free to try this.
#4 : I doubt this will be successful. You weren't incorrectly charged or charged for something you didn't agree to. You accepted/initialed/something and they charged you, so this most likely won't/shouldn't yield a successful chargeback.

In short, you agreed (so long as Enterprise can prove that you actually signed for it, and the agent didn't add it after you left the counter) and most likely will be held responsible. The onus is on the buyer to read the fine print before leaving the lot.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 8:51 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,949
The place to resolve this is #2 .

#1 has nothing to do with this. #3 is likely to back up #2 . #4 either won't work or if it does work, likely lands you on Enterprise's DNR. (Perhaps you don't care now, but you may do so sometime in the future).

Stay way from untrue assertions about "what we all know." While I certainly don't read the entire contract or even the entire series of cards which may be printed our or the like, but I do confirm that the rate and add-ons are correct. I can't speak to what "most people do" but I certainly suspect that many check the rate and yours would have been a lot higher than you expected.

You might get some sympathy if you simply say that you declined and the agent must have made a mistake (suggesting that you were conned makes you look foolish because the total number is something to be checked).

Make the call when you have time, are calm.
Often1 is online now  
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:56 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1 View Post
I've always been a loyal Enterprise customer, having had them, on a number of occasions, go above and beyond the call of duty. So my recent experience at PHX was like a slap in the face. I seek advice on the best way to redress this grievance.

They are claiming that although I waived the "personal accident", "supplemental liability", and "roadside protection" coverages, I DID purchase the "collision damage" waiver; thus I had an unexpected extra charge of $264 when I returned the car (8 days @ $24.99/day, plus tax). An initial inquiry via email at the website yields the response that the "rental agreement" shows I accepted collision-damage insurance. I have no doubt that is the case, but I believe I was essentially conned into signing up for this. We all know that normally when you pick up your car, the agent asks if you want these coverages, you then say "no" (if you believe you're backstopped by your personal auto insurance), and the agent has you initial in several places before your actual signature; normally I just do as they say, trusting they will respect my stated wishes, and being tired from my flight and in a hurry. So apparently I did not initial in the correct places. I believe there was malice involved here, as the agent was FAR more pushy that usual (I normally have almost no push-back on the waivers) when I declined the coverages. When I returned the car, I noticed a charge on the receipt, said something to the agent, and he basically said "it's all good"; being in a hurry to catch my flight of course, and my glasses packed way, I didn't scrutinize it. Obviously I bear some responsibility for all this, but I believe my main fault was in simply trusting the representatives of a company that has always treated me well. I am most angry.

A further wrinkle to this, is that I booked this car through Autoslash and prepaid it through them. So there was supposed to be zero due directly to Enterprise, assuming I didn't owe for any gas, extra stuff like GPS, and of course the various insurances. And indeed the collision-damage waiver was the only charge I paid directly to Enterprise upon returning the car.

So, which of these should I do, and in what sequence:

1. Contact Autoslash. Say they should go to bat for me against Enterprise, as it was my understanding the car was fully paid for.
2. Contact the manager of the Sky Harbor branch of Enterprise, and give them a chance to make good before I escalate to the main office. This being by far the pushiest that Enterprise has ever been with me on the optional coverages, I wonder if there's some local issue here (though I've rented at PHX before without issue).
3. Contact the main Enterprise customer-service people, probably by telephone.
4. Forget 1, 2, and 3, and just dispute the charge with my credit card company; I've usually had quite good luck with this. The problem is, I used a brand new credit card (BofA Amtrak MC), instead of my "everyday" Citi card on which I've charged $15,000 or so annually for some years.

Thanks for reading my long tale of woe and for any good advice !
5. Try Enterprise's executive contacts at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/enterprise/.

I might use this as the method for 3, but I wouldn't do 4 until you've exhausted all other options.
RustyShackleford1 likes this.
JMorgana is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:48 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Thanks, folks.

Also, I was just invited to join Enterprise's "exchange" (the Exchange is a private online community of over 1,000 Enterprise® customers from across the country willing to share their perspectives and opinions), though their stupid survey questionnaire to signup crashed and I have to start over. Anyhow, this might give me a good platform to make a stink, if all else fails.
RustyShackleford1 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:06 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,464
Is the OP an Enterprise Plus or National Emerald Club member? And if so, was the member number included in the reservation? If the renter profile indicates that all optional insurance is declined, that should reduce -- but not completely eliminate -- the possibility that an Enterprise counter agent will attempt to up-sell to insurance coverage.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:47 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Is the OP an Enterprise Plus or National Emerald Club member? And if so, was the member number included in the reservation? If the renter profile indicates that all optional insurance is declined, that should reduce -- but not completely eliminate -- the possibility that an Enterprise counter agent will attempt to up-sell to insurance coverage.
I am an Enterprise Plus member. When I log in a do not see any option in my Profile for optional insurances. One argument I can use when I call in (to the PHX office, not the main office, as appears to be the recommendation here) is to look at all my previous Enterprise rentals and see that I declined the optional coverages on all of them.
RustyShackleford1 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:49 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,357
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
...In short, you agreed (so long as Enterprise can prove that you actually signed for it, and the agent didn't add it after you left the counter) and most likely will be held responsible. The onus is on the buyer to read the fine print before leaving the lot.
Yup. I always verify that the correct boxes are checked whenever I initial a rental contract. Had this type of thing slipped by me I would have double-checked that the initials were there and did look like mine, and if so would have paid and vowed to be even more diligent in the future.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
So let me be the first to break your heart...

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1 View Post
Thanks, folks.

Also, I was just invited to join Enterprise's "exchange" (the Exchange is a private online community of over 1,000 Enterprise® customers from across the country willing to share their perspectives and opinions), though their stupid survey questionnaire to signup crashed and I have to start over. Anyhow, this might give me a good platform to make a stink, if all else fails.
The so-called "Enterprise: Exchange" is a complete joke. There is [oddly] no mention of rental cars. However, if you wish to share your favorite food, where you like to travel, and what your goals are for life, I'm sure you will find it totally enjoyable.

The only platform it will provide you, is for everything but rental cars. You will find it [he says quite confidently] a total waste of your time. Enterprise should be ashamed for even maintaining the site. If anyone is jealous for not being invited to join, I suggest you go to your local Safeway and sign up for the Safeway Club card, and you will get 100x the benefit.
randix is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:47 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Had this type of thing slipped by me I would have double-checked that the initials were there and did look like mine, and if so would have paid and vowed to be even more diligent in the future.
The document that is available online does not show my initials - including the instances where I declined the other supplementary coverages; it only shows my full signature. IOW, even if I had initialed declining the CDW, it wouldn't appear on what appears to be the only surviving record of this rental.
RustyShackleford1 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:48 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by randix View Post
... I suggest you go to your local Safeway and sign up for the Safeway Club card, and you will get 100x the benefit.
This is very helpful. Thank you so much.
RustyShackleford1 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 1:54 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,464
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1 View Post
I am an Enterprise Plus member. When I log in a do not see any option in my Profile for optional insurances.
Wow! You're absolutely correct. I was surprised to discover that Enterprise Plus does not offer the option of selecting one's insurance preferences.

If you are willing to credit your future Enterprise rentals to the National Emerald Club, that is a possible solution for you, as Emerald Club members can indicate their insurance preferences, and you can use your Emerald Club number on an Enterprise rental.

Emerald Club and Enterprise Plus are very different loyalty programs, so you'd have to figure out whether crediting your Enterprise rentals to the Emerald Club instead of Enterprise Plus makes sense for you.
RustyShackleford1 likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 18, 12:03 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 162
Holy cow ! I just called Enterprise. Tried to call the PHX office (as rec'd here), but got routed to a central call center, as they like to do; so I went ahead and explained my issue anyhow. Got a kind of generic response, "we will forward this to the manager in PHX, you should hear from him". And indeed I did, very shortly, apologizing and saying I'd receive a credit for the amount within a few days.

I guess my reflexive cynicism about large corporations was misplaced here. I've always liked Enterprise, having had them go above and beyond the call of duty on several occasions, and this further confirms my loyalty. I'm still pissed about the pushy agent (who didn't want to hear "no" on the CDW) and wonder if it's just coincidence that I had this agent and this mistaken charge showed up. I'll follow up on that with this manager, once I get my refund.

Thanks all for the advice here.
strickerj likes this.
RustyShackleford1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread