Who allows you to choose your own vehicle?

Old Sep 5, 18, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Who allows you to choose your own vehicle?

I have been with National for many years now. What initially drew me to them was that I could just walk out to the garage, choose a car, and leave. At the time, they were the only ones who you could consistently do this with.

But I know this isn't the case anymore. And lately I have been dissatisfied with National's customer service. So I want to find a new company to utilize. I usually don't quite hit executive level, so I need a group that performs well for regular renters. I want to bypass the counter, and I want to be able to choose a car. Most of my rentals are in Florida, FLL and MCO, though I also regularly rent from SFO and ORD a lot, too. I will occasionally rent from other locations.

Suggestions?
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Hertz has Ultimate Choice, which is pretty much like National's Emerald Aisle.
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Thrifty guy at DFW pointed to a section of cars and said "pick one from over there".
Old Sep 6, 18, 4:44 am

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I have been with National for many years now. What initially drew me to them was that I could just walk out to the garage, choose a car, and leave. At the time, they were the only ones who you could consistently do this with.

But I know this isn't the case anymore. And lately I have been dissatisfied with National's customer service. So I want to find a new company to utilize. I usually don't quite hit executive level, so I need a group that performs well for regular renters. I want to bypass the counter, and I want to be able to choose a car. Most of my rentals are in Florida, FLL and MCO, though I also regularly rent from SFO and ORD a lot, too. I will occasionally rent from other locations.

Suggestions?
The big 3 National, Hertz and Avis.

As mentioned, Hertz is most similar to National. Avis you're assigned a car in the app and if you don't like it you can pick a car in the select&go spots or the app will allow you to swap to other options available for no charge (or a fee).
Old Sep 6, 18, 8:05 pm

Hertz Ultimate Choice is a poor man's Emerald Aisle, though selection has improved a bit lately in my experience.

Avis's app is more limited and available at fewer locations.
Old Sep 6, 18, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by xfire22 View Post

As mentioned, Hertz is most similar to National. Avis you're assigned a car in the app and if you don't like it you can pick a car in the select&go spots or the app will allow you to swap to other options available for no charge (or a fee).
or a fee
lol
which defeats the query
Old Sep 6, 18, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xfire22 View Post

A few weeks ago, a manager at a large Avis airport location (DFW maybe? - I hit 2-3 cities a week, so they blur together sometimes) said they're doing away with the S&G aisle and moving toward the app for vehicle seats as people are being familiar with it now.
Old Sep 9, 18, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that all of these mentioned above are only at bigger airports. I don't know if there are any airports where one car rental company doesn't have it yet another does (I guess maybe that could happen if one company has a corporate location at that airport but the other has a contracted location?).
Old Sep 10, 18, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Keep in mind that all of these mentioned above are only at bigger airports. I don't know if there are any airports where one car rental company doesn't have it yet another does (I guess maybe that could happen if one company has a corporate location at that airport but the other has a contracted location?).
There are 70+ National Emerald Aisle locations and 55ish Hertz UC locations.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:40 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I've been able to choose my Dollar rental at a few locations, but not at most. Obviously varies from location to location.

Search this Thread