Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I force SilverCar to charge me for 2 days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying into SEA as a connection on a vacation I'm taking, my plan is to stay over night in SEA so I can go see a Cirque du Soleil show and hit Pike Place. Because of this my landing and departure times are pretty firm.

I have a couple discount codes for SilverCar, one is a free day rental (min 2 day rental) and the other is 30% off (min 2 day). It looks like the free day code is better for me to use, however, when I go to SilverCar and actually pick just the times I need the car, SilverCar charges it out as 1.5 days, not 2. It's actually cheaper to book something that SilverCar counts as 2 days WITH my promo code compared to a 1.5 day rental without a code. ($87.53 after all taxes and fee's for 2 day booking with promo code vs $126.33 without promo code for 1.5 days)

I land at SEA on Oct 27th at 2:20 pm and leave on Oct 28th at 7pm. I first put my booking request as Oct 27th 2:30pm pickup and Oct 28th drop off at 5pm. That gave me the 1.5 day quote from SilverCar.

If I put the drop off at 7pm instead of 5pm it'll change to a 2 day booking, and thus I can use my promo codes and actually pay less. However, since my Delta flight leave at 7pm, there's no possible way I can get from the off site rental car location and past security and actually make my flight :P

Can I just book the reservation online for those times, return the car 1.5 to 2 hours early and still be charged for 2 full days?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not from my experience. The app controls everything, including rental period. Charges are calculated using scan-out time and scan-in time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Dang, that's what I was wondering.... there is literally no way I can get to Seattle sooner and I'm worried anything less than 90 min from the offsite rental car location to my actual departure time might be pushing it...

Though I am TSA PreCheck and will be flying Delta F... sooooo... maybe I can try to push it tighter, lol
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Anything less than 28 hours will be charged as one day plus a partial day.

If I were you, I'd pick up the car at 3:30 and return it by 4:29 and only pay for one day.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Anything less than 28 hours will be charged as one day plus a partial day.

If I were you, I'd pick up the car at 3:30 and return it by 4:29 and only pay for one day.
Ya, I'm now debating staying at the SEA Hilton (instead of downtown) and just getting the Silver Car for when I need to head off to the Cirque du Soleil show, otherwise I can take the light rail into down town and walk around. I really just need it to get to Cirque Du Soleil and maybe dinner somewhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.