Why is so hard to have one-way car rental?

Old Aug 20, 18, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Why is so hard to have one-way car rental?

Car rental seems like a popular way of travelling in Europe, but why is it so hard to have a one-way car rental?

In my previous trip, I couldn't find any car rental which allows for picking up in Kaliningrad and returning in Klaipėda or Riga. That means I had to take buses instead.

After the trip, I searched for some city pairs along the Baltic coast, and most of the cases I couldn't find any quotes. I couldn't find any company for Kaliningrad - Tallinn, however, if the ending point is further into St. Petersburg, there were some quotes. There were also quotes for Gdańsk - Tallinn.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Because most are franchised locations, and they own the cars or lease them directly. Imagine sending your car to another completely separate company? Good luck getting it back easily and cheap.
m907, wrp96 and AutoSlash like this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
And because it's (very) expensive to bring the car back from across an international frontier.
m907 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 18, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
And because it's (very) expensive to bring the car back from across an international frontier.
There are different "levels" on international frontiers in Europe.

Does Schengen apply to rental cars? If so, does that mean it's easier to do one-way as long as you're starting and ending in a Schengen country?

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 21, 18 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:43 pm

It shouldn't be surprising that you can find quotes for Kaliningrad (Russia) <-> St. Petersburg (also Russia).

Rental insurance is a bit more problematic when you're mixing Russia and not-Russia.

I've found within-country EU one-way rentals to be rather cost effective.

I know that French companies have programmes where you "buy" a new car and return it after x days/months. Since you own the car, you have far fewer restrictions (like mileage or geographic restrictions). The paperwork only becomes cost-effective with rentals >3 weeks.

Search this Thread