No one way fee

Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
No one way fee

What's the best rental company that don't charge a one way fee
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:28 am

Some "discount" brands charge a separate one-way fee. Most larger brands charge a higher daily rate. The first scenario works well for short distance, long time. The second scenario works better for long distance in a short time. What should matter to you as a customer is not whether there's a separate drop fee, but the total price. Whether it's $30 for 1 day with a $50 drop fee ($80) or one day for $80, in this case the price is the same.

Between corporate stores, the cars randomly circulate. The companies need to manage flow, based on supply, demand, and depreciation due to mileage accumulation. So are you really asking if there's a rental company out there somewhere that will always charge the same low price as roundtrip for a one-way anywhere in the country? That would not be a sustainable business model.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In what country?
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Any country where there's a difference in regional demand, where there's a natural outflow or inflow, and/or where one-ways result in above-average usage of the car.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The question, as it stands, is wholly unanswerable.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The question, as it stands, is wholly unanswerable.
i am doing a road trip next year seattle to chicago for around 17 days
my last long road trip was 2016 where i did route66 chicago to santa monica over 18 days and got a $500 dollar 1 way fee over charge i believe , since then i have planned my road trips as a loop so drop car off and same as pick up but trip next year wont allow that as i will be driving thru 10 states 2950 mile one way in 17 days
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by andyh1877
i am doing a road trip next year seattle to chicago for around 17 days
my last long road trip was 2016 where i did route66 chicago to santa monica over 18 days and got a $500 dollar 1 way fee over charge i believe , since then i have planned my road trips as a loop so drop car off and same as pick up but trip next year wont allow that as i will be driving thru 10 states 2950 mile one way in 17 days
There are only a handful of rental-car companies that offer one-ways from SEA to ORD. Just price each of them, and see which one offers the lowest total cost. If you can pick up from an off-airport location, compare the price of that, as well. And if you qualify for any special rates, e.g., AAA, AARP, Costco, Sam's Club, USAA, be sure to check rates with those discounts also.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
There are only a handful of rental-car companies that offer one-ways from SEA to ORD. Just price each of them, and see which one offers the lowest total cost. If you can pick up from an off-airport location, compare the price of that, as well. And if you qualify for any special rates, e.g., AAA, AARP, Costco, Sam's Club, USAA, be sure to check rates with those discounts also.
Pretty much the only way you might be able to avoid a one-way fee is with a special discount code or company contract. Even then it would be rare.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I don't fully understand now it works checked a few quotes and 1 was over 50 % less than the others but none of them mentioned a one way fee
most wanted Ł1400 for 17 days but holidayautos only wanted Ł600
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:47 pm

In specific cases, Hertz (and others, I suppose) will have special deals for very specific oneway rentals, like New York to Florida (or the other way round). That happens when they need to move vehicles from one area to another due to shifting demand. If you happen to go that way during that week or month, you are basically helping them out, so they lower the price.

I also remember a rental from Miami to Jacksonville, years ago, booked through a European intermediary. But the station in Jacksonville was very surprised when I showed up, the return took hours to process, and they charged a hefty drop fee (which the intermediary eventually refunded me). I was lucky that I had arrived super early at the airport, otherwise I would have missed my flight.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:52 am

generally speaking in the US, I encounter one way drop fees less often than in years past.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:23 am

With some companies you can avoid a one-way fee if you're returning in the same city. For example, picking up at Chicago O'Hare and dropping off at Midway wouldn't incur a fee.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:57 am

That's usually part of corporate contract terms. Otherwise, there would be natural outflows and inflows that could be hard to manage.

Ex, A lot of passengers arriving by Southwest to one airport and taking an international flight from a different airport. I recall several years ago someone described how this same scenario is actually common in Dallas and possibly Houston, with natural outflows from DAL to DFW. The reverse trips (going home presumably) and one-ways from other random cities are for some reason insufficient to re-stock.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
In specific cases, Hertz (and others, I suppose) will have special deals for very specific oneway rentals, like New York to Florida (or the other way round). That happens when they need to move vehicles from one area to another due to shifting demand. If you happen to go that way during that week or month, you are basically helping them out, so they lower the price.

I also remember a rental from Miami to Jacksonville, years ago, booked through a European intermediary. But the station in Jacksonville was very surprised when I showed up, the return took hours to process, and they charged a hefty drop fee (which the intermediary eventually refunded me). I was lucky that I had arrived super early at the airport, otherwise I would have missed my flight.
I hope I'm correct: FL seem to cut off anywhere North of Daytona. Jacksonville is not getting FL treatment
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I hope I'm correct: FL seem to cut off anywhere North of Daytona. Jacksonville is not getting FL treatment
Depends. This year's $8/day one ways to Florida apply to JAX as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.