Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selecting a different country of origin when making a reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I've been playing around the Budget website for a car rental outside the USA and noticed significantly lower rates when selecting a country other than the USA where it asks for which country I live in. If I select a country other than the US, will I experience any pushback or issues when picking up the car? Anyone tried this before?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer your specific question, there is no way to be certain. The fraud should be picked up during the credit check process as your CC and DL will not be from the third country, but it might not and a clerical person at the pickup site might not notice or care.

But, what you may be assured of is that if you rent in violation of the contract and that standard document will always specify that it is void if incorrect information has been provided, that any insurance or other coverage associated with the contract will be void. That will be the subject of a check if there is a claim. If one uses one's own coverages, most also are void if the underlying contract is void.

So, all a risk calculation, some of which cannot be controlled or known before it may be needed.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:57 am

On the other hand, some rental car agencies have different rates when you select a different website (e.g. .co.uk instead of .com). You can still pick your own country of residence during the checkout process, so you're not giving any false information. Anyone have experience with that?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:51 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

All disclaimers aside, there have been very few cases (actually none that I can think of) where someone is denied a rental at the counter because they chose a country of residence that they could not prove residence in. In fact, it's possible that you might be visiting a country in your travels and book a rental in a different country while there where you are automatically directed to the local car rental website. While we'd never advocate knowingly providing false information to the rental company, and you could get into trouble by doing it, it's common knowledge that this has happened in the past and there is usually very little scrutiny of the practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.