Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car rental cheaper nearing date where you need the car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G

i rarely rent cars, usually having friends pick me up and deposing me back at airport for return flight and even give me their car for short trips like shopping and visiting nearby villages or towns.
this year however I decided to lessen the burden on ny friends because of early and late arrivals/departures and wish to free friends from any obligations,

i fly TK and booked one week rental in May via their website, comparing deals got a better deal via TK.
When I checked prices 3 months before trip I could not find a real good deal with any car rental company.
two months before trip booked a real good deal via TK, better than any other provider, but one week before trip rechecked with TK and found the same car 30€ cheaperfor just 7days, thus I booked a new contract and cancelled the old. Rey satisfied with the renting with Enterprise at BRU.

NExt trip to BRU I need a car for 12 days and I waited until60 days before the trip before booking with TK again with the same comments as before, checking prices with many providers 3 months before trip.
Now at less than 30 daysbefore trip I found a better deal again with TKonly saving 15€this time, but I rebooked anyway.

so now curious to see one week before trip...

incidentally i need to rent a car for only 5 days later in September and i could not find a good deal via TK’swe site but on an other site, carrentals.com I found a good deal. Thus I booked with them. Curious how this will evolve.

thusmy question is “is it really cheaper to book closer to trip date”?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:40 am

It just depends on dates and their algorithms. There is no magic date to book by. Rates change by the hour.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Unless you are pre-paying, you are usually able to cancel a car rental. In that case go ahead and book the car rental now and if you are able to find a cheaper rental down the road, cancel this rental and book the cheaper one.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:24 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Our mantra is book early and check rates often. We also offer a free service to track rates on an existing booking. The key is to be sure to avoid making a booking that doesn't allow for a free cancellation. You don't want to be locked in if a better deal comes along.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be, but not at every location. In some locations that have demand in one season, in that season it may never go down. OTOH in many markets what you noticed is true, but you have to keep checking (or use a service like AutoSlash to check for you) and you have to make sure you don't book any "pay now" rates. In some markets I've found that about 6 to 4 weeks out may be best, and in other markets I've found 1/2 to 2 weeks out may be best. But again, most of the time, not necessarily every time.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Thanks for replies.
I cancelled to early September booking without penalty (was not pre-paid) after booking the cheaper deal, same company however.
The second rental for September is pre-paid and can be cancelled without penalty 24h before but doubt I will find a better deal.
Anyway, for future rental the rule is start looking 3 months beforehand and recheck every week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.