Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

can I be denied renting because I drive too many miles?

Old Aug 3, 18, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Lets say I drive 10000 miles in a month, trading in the vehicle at the 5000 mile mark for service. Would I get denied in the future for abusing the unlimited mileage? What if I drive 10000 miles a month for 3 months?
Old Aug 3, 18, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
Lets say I drive 10000 miles in a month, trading in the vehicle at the 5000 mile mark for service. Would I get denied in the future for abusing the unlimited mileage? What if I drive 10000 miles a month for 3 months?
Maybe.
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Doesn't it all average out, though? How many times have "we" rented a car from the airport just to have it sit in a hotel parking lot for days on end, or some single-digit-miles trip from the hotel to a client site and back for a week?
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may average out or it may not. But, that doesn't mean that rental pricing is based on an average.

Correct answer is as above. Maybe.
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:34 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

You absolutely can, especially if you make a habit of it. Will you? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the company/location/location mamager/etc. So the definitive answer is.....it depends.
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you realize that's 333 miles a day on average, which in the best traffic is quite a few hours every day on a freeway?

So is this what you actually plan doing, or are just asking in theory?
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
There was a thread about this a year or two back and people were indeed being put on the "do not rent" list for overdoing it. You will probably be OK if you rent regularly and don't make a habit of it. I think that the other thread concluded that the rental companies had internal ideas of what "unlimited" really meant and it was perilous to overdo it.
dayone likes this.

Search this Thread