Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dollar cancels reservation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

dollar cancels reservation

Had a vehicle reserved for almost 2 months at the dollar location at 4775 swenson st Las Vegas. Received an email confirmation this am. Just received a call from Dollar (12 hrs before my flight) stating they had overbooked and my reservation is cancelled. They offered nothing other than an outrageous price at the airport. It is costing me more than $1000 more to get a vehicle. Unethical? or is there another word for this and what options does one have?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You certainly have grounds to complain. You might want to try renting from Hertz or Thrifty. I know this sounds counter-intuitive--why would you still want to give Hertz (who owns Dollar and Thrifty) your biz after they screwed you)? The reason I say this is that it's your best chance of pressing them to make things right. If you go rent with say Avis or Enterprise, there's no way they're going to cut you a $1K check, but they might refund you say $1K on a $2K reservation (just making up numbers) if you make a big enough stink. That's how I would handle it.

We did notice this morning that almost everything in Las Vegas is sold out for today, which is kinda crazy when you think about it as the temperature is pushing 115F over the next couple of days.

Feel free to PM us your rental details. We'll see what we can do for you.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jul 25, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, dollar corporate called and said someone from the las vegas rental center would be contacting me. Paul, operations manager at las vegas called and said he would make good on my original reservation and pick the vehicle up at the rental center. I am plasantly surprised and astounded to be honest. The came thru with flying colors. Things are looking up
jackal and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:11 am

Yelp and Google reviews reveal overbooking is a constant problem with this location. Often it's a cheaper alternative to the airport, with much lower taxes, and closer to popular hotels.

This is exactly why I told my family member not to rent from here for a proposed one way to SAN. Especially since for one ways, last minute pricing and availability with competitors could be a huge problem.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
How did it work out for you? I assume well, or else you probably would have been back here to retract your last post.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from las vegas. Met Paul the operations manager at the rental center, had my keys at the counter and typed up the contract with the same price I would have paid at the Swenson St location. Went downstairs and they had an upgraded midsize suv for me. Paul told me it was for the trouble I had. Everything went well and I met him when I returned the car and thanked him again. Dollar did come thru. I am very pleased to say that.
Auto Enthusiast and mmmgood like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.