CDG --> BCN

Old Jul 18, 18, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

CDG --> BCN

I am looking to rent a car at CDG on July 27 and drop-off on Aug 9 at BCN. Having a hard time finding a decent price due to the country transfer fee.

Any tips? Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:34 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Best deal we're seeing is about $825 with Hertz.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:42 am

Adjust the itinerary so you can drop the French car somewhere (like Perpignan?) near the border and head into Catalonia by train.
You'll always face a painfully high one way fee for cross border as they have to physically return the car before it can be sold on.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:44 am

I actually did check CDG-TLS and CDG-Perpignan but it honestly wasn't all that much better, but agree that it's always worth playing with the options.
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
I actually did check CDG-TLS and CDG-Perpignan but it honestly wasn't all that much better, but agree that it's always worth playing with the options.
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with:

CDG-Pepignan
Pick-up: 7/27
Drop-off: 8/6

Then I won't have a car in Barcelona and take an Uber to the airport on 8/9. I'm pricing this out around $330 euros.

One thing I realized - right now, I only have a debit card. Can I pay in advance with that or do they need to have a matching credit card to my name? If so, are there usually extra fees if I put it in my girlfriend's name and use her credit card and add myself as a driver? Can I do that at the desk or should I make a reservation under her name?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:50 pm

If you don't have a credit card in your name, you're going to have a hard time finding a company that will rent to you. To avoid problems, whether you pay up-front or not, we highly advise you to put the reservation in your girlfriend's name, use her credit card at the rental counter, and then add yourself as an additional driver. Keep in mind there will likely be an extra fee for this.
Old Jul 22, 18, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
If you don't have a credit card in your name, you're going to have a hard time finding a company that will rent to you. To avoid problems, whether you pay up-front or not, we highly advise you to put the reservation in your girlfriend's name, use her credit card at the rental counter, and then add yourself as an additional driver. Keep in mind there will likely be an extra fee for this.
Got it, thanks.

Are there instances of extra fees being charged after booking via Priceline (and via AutoSlash!)? All of the warnings that this is possible is pretty frightening. I ended up booking CDG-Barcelona (city drop-off) so I can drop the car when we get to Barcelona on 8/6 instead of keeping it through 8/9 and dropping it at the airport.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 22, 18, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by bmoeller1 View Post
Got it, thanks.

Are there instances of extra fees being charged after booking via Priceline (and via AutoSlash!)? All of the warnings that this is possible is pretty frightening. I ended up booking CDG-Barcelona (city drop-off) so I can drop the car when we get to Barcelona on 8/6 instead of keeping it through 8/9 and dropping it at the airport.

Thanks again!
There should not be any additional fees. Just be sure to decline any extra insurance (if your girlfriend's credit card will cover you and you're comfortable with that). We've seen instances of rental companies in Europe sometimes charging for a full tank of gas up-front, but as long as you bring the car back full any fuel charges will be credited back at return.

Search this Thread