Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat Rental Car Tire - Miles from Rental Company - What to Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flat Rental Car Tire - Miles from Rental Company - What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Yeah but now days it's your responsibility to check the car, and tires before you drive off. I've refused at least 5 cars now due to bald tires or missing chunks off the sidewalls.

I personally would either A) Get it replaced (think that's out of the questions) B) Buy another one and expense through work/insurance or the rental company if insured.

She was 200 miles from the hire place, it's no longer their problem unless insured. For all they know she could've hit a pothole doing 70 and blew it. I wouldn't count them on just simply saying "Yeah sure, we got yer back!"
dtc and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Redwood839
B) Buy another one and expense through work/insurance or the rental company if insured.
Also worth noting: The credit card insurances that I've looked into all have said that they deny claims to tires unless there's other damage to vehicles. I guess they want you to take the flat tire run the rim into a large curb/pothole and then call them for coverage
dtc, AutoSlash and Brighton Line like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:35 pm

I once got a flat tire on a long term rental. I put the spare on and then got the tire replaced with the cheapest available at a shop. The rental company didn't notice.
They almost never pay attention to the tires.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Also worth noting: The credit card insurances that I've looked into all have said that they deny claims to tires unless there's other damage to vehicles. I guess they want you to take the flat tire run the rim into a large curb/pothole and then call them for coverage
Looks like the Chase CDW coverage that comes with the Sapphire Reserve Card (and possibly others, I didn't check) covers tires as it is not listed as an exclusion - https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...84610029e9df78.

Contrast this with the coverage for Amex Platinum, where tires are explicitly excluded: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

The Chase coverage is also primary, so is clearly the card to use if you have it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:39 pm

Policies obviously vary by country. My Amex (UK) policy paid for a new tyre without quibble.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Looks like the Chase CDW coverage that comes with the Sapphire Reserve Card (and possibly others, I didn't check) covers tires as it is not listed as an exclusion - https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...84610029e9df78.

Contrast this with the coverage for Amex Platinum, where tires are explicitly excluded: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

The Chase coverage is also primary, so is clearly the card to use if you have it.
Thanks for pointing this out. I will be using CSR card for future car rentals. My one experience with a flat was not 200 miles away from rental agency. It was probably about 30 minutes away in Orlando. The flat occurred 15 mins after driving off the lot and I was closer to the hotel than the car rental agency so I put on the spare and called the company at the hotel. The company (Budget) offered to drive a new car to my hotel and swapped out the car. Has anyone had experience filing tire claim with the CSR credit card? I would assume that this would only work if you returned the car to the rental agency(1.5 hours away in your example) and the rental agency charged you for a tire. Then the credit card would cover what the rental agency billed you. I'm not sure you would be able to buy a new tire and then try to get money back from credit card since it is possible that the rental agency would possibly cover the damage (goodwill to customer as in my case?) and that would result in unnecessary charge for the credit card.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
No need to commit fraud.

The real rule is that if the flat is the result of an impact, they will pay. Then, it's a question of what proof you have (such as police report, picture of the pothole, etc.) and your negotiation skills.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I may have gotten lucky. I ran over a piece of debris in the dark and shredded two tires. Nice car, too; it had barely 3 or 4 thousand miles on it. Rental place sent me another car on a flatbed and took the disabled car away and I never heard one word about it afterward. If it was my own car I would have popped for a couple new tires, so I was fully expecting to do so with the rental. Not a peep out of them. Maybe its an unwritten perk of being in their loyalty program? Ha ha.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:56 pm

About 20 years ago we were in Death Valley during the summer and drove up the Aguereberry Point Road (unpaved) in the Panamint Mountains. A tire was damaged by sharp rocks. We called the rental car company and reported that a tire had failed. They directed us to a tire shop in Ridgecrest, CA, where the tire was replaced for free. That was a good deal.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
About 20 years ago we were in Death Valley during the summer and drove up the Aguereberry Point Road (unpaved) in the Panamint Mountains. A tire was damaged by sharp rocks. We called the rental car company and reported that a tire had failed. They directed us to a tire shop in Ridgecrest, CA, where the tire was replaced for free. That was a good deal.
Especially since all rental contracts, AFAIK, ban driving on unpaved roads.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
And...it is not covered generally by the rental car company CDW
That contradicts my experience at the company I worked at/managed for 9 years. If you bought CDW from us, you didn't pay for tire repair or replacement. In a few instances, I even dispatched a replacement tire to customers in distant rural areas by same-day air freight when tire shops in their area didn't have any in stock--at no cost to them. (And if we didn't have it in stock in our back lot and they were staying still for a few days, I'd order one express from TireRack.com to be shipped to them.)

It is possible, though, that other companies have different policies.

And regarding credit card CDW, I haven't tested it, but my Costco Citi Visa does not exclude tires in its T&C (and it's primary, too).

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
It's so confusing to me why people seem so hesitant to give the name of the company they rented from--both you in this post and the OP in his original post.

I am almost certain that you rented from Enterprise (or subsidiaries Alamo/National). They have a nationwide contract with Sears for tire and oil change issues. If you rent with Enterprise and need a tire repaired or replaced, or you are on a long-term rental and need an oil change, they will direct you to the nearest Sears, and Sears will bill Enterprise directly for the service (and you may never see any charges).

If the OP rented from Enterprise, this would have been my advice. But the other companies handle their tire issues location-by-location (and in-house at most midsize and up locations), so your two options are to either return the car to them for repair/replacement or repair/replace the tire at your own expense at a local tire shop. (With Hertz, the in-house repair is often significantly cheaper than normal prices outside if you agree at the counter to pay the charge then and there, so there's at least that--I paid $45 at the counter to replace a $180 tire on a Volvo S60.)

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Another scenario, which if I recall correctly, was common several years ago on old, very high mileage Hertz cars and U-Haul ancient one-way trucks- the tires were given bald, and coincidentally blew out with the current customer. In that case, keeping the original tire to give back to the rental company would show if indeed the car maintenance was negligent and consequently should not be charged to the renter.
Correct. If the damage can be traced back to a faulty tire provided to the customer, then the rental company will (or should, at least, if you press them hard enough) accept responsibility for the charges.

Originally Posted by nd2010
I once got a flat tire on a long term rental. I put the spare on and then got the tire replaced with the cheapest available at a shop. The rental company didn't notice.
They almost never pay attention to the tires.
For better or for worse, this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
And regarding credit card CDW, I haven't tested it, but my Costco Citi Visa does not exclude tires in its T&C (and it's primary, too).
You got me all excited there for a second - a free credit card with primary rental coverage!

Alas, it appears you are incorrect. On page 11 of the Costco Citi Guide to Protection Benefits (https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...CostcoCon.ashx) it states "In the United States, the coverage provided by this benefit is secondary."
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got me all excited there for a second - a free credit card with primary rental coverage!

Alas, it appears you are incorrect. On page 11 of the Costco Citi Guide to Protection Benefits (https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...CostcoCon.ashx) it states "In the United States, the coverage provided by this benefit is secondary."
Check the business card. It doesn't exclude personal rentals.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Check the business card. It doesn't exclude personal rentals.
Do you have a link to the business card benefits? I can't find it online.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a link to the business card benefits? I can't find it online.
Try this:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...CostcoBus.ashx

Oh, I was able to attach it after all (in case the link above changes--previously, FT didn't allow attachments this big):
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CostcoBus.pdf (3.03 MB, 1368 views)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.