Using online car rental sites

Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Using online car rental sites

Hi,

I am looking at the possibility of using an online car rental site like rentalcars.com, for my driving tour of Vancouver (canada) and places around it.

I am an Indian citizen, my credit card does not have any rental insurance or any such policies, also I do not have any third party insurance policy with me. I only have a travel insurance for personal medical insurance.

I put in a search for 7 day rental (intermediate car), I got some offers for cars with CDW and third party insurance. I also selected complete coverage (zero excess), as I do not have any separate insurance for the rental car or for third party damages.

My question is

1. does the third party insurance offered here (rentalcars.com) cover all damages done to third person, property etc?? What will be total value of insurance covered ?? Do I need more ??

2. For CDW it says, when full coverage is selected, I do not have to pay for any damages done to the car (provided it is driven within the rules). I selected full coverage, now in this case what if I break the law inadvertently and there is an accident, does the CDW still apply??

3. The CDW/LDW offered by rental companies like hertz, avis etc are basically waivers, they are not insurance, so are the policies given by rentalcars.com really insurance or just waivers??

4. Could anyone point to an insurance company that offers insurance coverage for collision damages, third party etc?? Are there any companies that cater to tourists ??

thanks
a
4. Is it advisable to go directly to rental companies or through rentalcars.com is better?? price is probably one factor, but I am worried about insurance coverages etc.

Please help

thanks
a
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:56 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Some answers:

Originally Posted by arbj
1. does the third party insurance offered here (rentalcars.com) cover all damages done to third person, property etc?? What will be total value of insurance covered ?? Do I need more ??
No, this is called liability insurance or LIS (liability insurance supplement). Generally, you will need to purchase this from the car rental company. Most liability policies offered by the rental companies offer up to $1M in coverage.

2. For CDW it says, when full coverage is selected, I do not have to pay for any damages done to the car (provided it is driven within the rules). I selected full coverage, now in this case what if I break the law inadvertently and there is an accident, does the CDW still apply??
As long as it was an "accident" and you were not negligent in some way (driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs), driving on unpaved roads, letting an unauthorized person drive the car, etc. then you will be covered. Keep in mind that 3rd party coverage may have different rules from the coverage offered directly by the rental companies.

3. The CDW/LDW offered by rental companies like hertz, avis etc are basically waivers, they are not insurance, so are the policies given by rentalcars.com really insurance or just waivers??
Yes, the policies offered by Hertz, Avis, etc. are basically waivers and they tend to be the most comprehensive and trouble-free if an accident occurs. They are also the most expensive option in most cases. The 3rd party policies are actual insurance since they can't waive something they don't have control over as the rental companies own the vehicles.

4. Is it advisable to go directly to rental companies or through rentalcars.com is better?? price is probably one factor, but I am worried about insurance coverages etc.
You probably have no choice but to go through the rental company for liability coverage. For damage protection (CDW), the rental company is almost certainly better, but will also almost certainly be more expensive. If you have an accident with 3rd party coverage, you will have to pay out-of-pocket for the damage you caused and then file a claim to whomever you purchased the policy from. There is also no guarantee that a 3rd party policy will cover things like administrative fees, loss-of-use fees, diminished value, etc. You can read more on car rental insurance here.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Have you looked at the rates on the Indian sites for the majors (Hertz.co.in, Avis.co.in, etc.)? They may offer Vancouver rentals with CDW included.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

I checked out a rental with Vancouver as destination, and for some reason I don't see the third party liability cover, however it was there for US locations. Could you explain why no third party liability is included ??

Also can I enhance the CDW and third part liability at the rental counter ?? I want to have zero excess. Could you give some estimate how much this would cost ?? I would prefer an economy or intermediate type car.

thanks
a
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
I know if I book with an Amex card, I get automatic coverage on rentals. Could check that route.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:00 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Thanks for the information.

I checked out a rental with Vancouver as destination, and for some reason I don't see the third party liability cover, however it was there for US locations. Could you explain why no third party liability is included ??

Also can I enhance the CDW and third part liability at the rental counter ?? I want to have zero excess. Could you give some estimate how much this would cost ?? I would prefer an economy or intermediate type car.

thanks
a
If you want peace of mind, just get CDW and LIS (liability insurance) at the rental counter from the rental company. That will provide the most protection, albeit at a cost. For liability protection though, you probably don't have much of a choice.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:29 am

I went through www.carhirebible.com who search through rentalcars. Make sure you put your country of origin as the UK. That way all the rates you see will have CDW and TP included

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.