Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Free additional driver? (Originating in CA, but returning in OR)

Old Jun 26, 18, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I know that CA law requires rental car companies to allow additional drivers for free. However, while my rental originates at LAX, we'll be driving to PDX. Context:
-The additional driver will be my brother. As such, I know he will need to be registered on the rental contract as an additional driver (since he is not a spouse or coworker, who would automatically be considered an additional driver).
-We will be in CA for 5 days, and outside of CA for 4 days.

Which of these is true?:
1. Since the rental originates in CA, my brother can be added for the entirety of the trip for free.
2. My brother will need to pay a fee for the entirety of the trip, since we will be traveling outside the state of CA.
3. My brother will need to pay a fee only for those days we are outside of CA.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm putting my money on #1 , since California is where you'll be entering into the contract.

Will all drivers have third-party liability insurance to satisfy California law?
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. That was my guess, too. Of course, I will also confirm with the company when I pick up the car, but I honestly don't have a lot of trust that the Thrifty desk guy at LAX will be well-versed in the nuances of the law.

As for insurance, we both have third-party liability insurance for our personal vehicles. Do you know if CA has certain requirements for that coverage?
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LAtoPDX View Post
Thanks for the reply. That was my guess, too. Of course, I will also confirm with the company when I pick up the car, but I honestly don't have a lot of trust that the Thrifty desk guy at LAX will be well-versed in the nuances of the law.

As for insurance, we both have third-party liability insurance for our personal vehicles. Do you know if CA has certain requirements for that coverage?
In CA, rental-car companies are not required to provide any free third-party liability coverage to renters, and most companies don't, unless you're renting with a rate code from an organization you belong to that includes some third-party liability coverage (like AARP when renting from participating Avis or Budget locations). But I'd suggest that each of you contact your personal auto-insurance carrier to: 1) verify that your policy extends to rental cars; and 2) to request that your carrier supply you with a document verifying coverage that you can show to a California police officer in case you are stopped. If your carrier has no such document, I'd suggest that each of you carry a copy of your policies' declarations pages. (That's what I do when I rent in CA.)
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Understood, thanks for clarifying. Our coverage extends to rentals, and I'll be sure to bring the policy.
Old Jun 26, 18, 11:15 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

We can confirm that #1 is correct. The policy/law of the origination location prevails.
Xlr likes this.
Old Jun 26, 18, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
We can confirm that 1 is correct. The policy/law of the origination location prevails.
Thank you!

Search this Thread