Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Enterprise LAX American Muscle Car, and payment questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm renting a car for the first time in the US, I've made a reservation in Enterprise-Rent-a-car in LAX for the American muscle category for 3 weeks. (I'm 26 years old so no issue with that)
I just wanted to ask if someone had the chance to rent that category from them recently? Which car did you get?
Also, I have some questions about the payment and insurance:
According to my understanding, I'm paying the full price when I first rent the car, and if additional payment is required when I return the car - I will pay when I return the car. Is that correct?
And regarding the insurance, basically I want the insurance that covers everything - car damage and person damage in the highest level. How much should I expect to pay for that?

Thanks ahead,
Daniel.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:10 pm

You young kids
Is this somethin' you're goin' remember when you're 68? Just thinking [to myself] how this experience cost could be put to so many better uses...

back to my cave!
Old May 26, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
You young kids
Is this somethin' you're goin' remember when you're 68? Just thinking [to myself] how this experience cost could be put to so many better uses...

back to my cave!
Well, for someone who doesn't live in the US and this kind of car costs more than twice than the price in the US, driving this car for 3 weeks is really a part of the vacation itself
Old May 26, 2018, 5:17 pm

Don't disagree :)

Originally Posted by DanielOfir15
Well, for someone who doesn't live in the US and this kind of car costs more than twice than the price in the US, driving this car for 3 weeks is really a part of the vacation itself
Old May 27, 2018, 9:51 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

American Muscle could be a Ford Mustang GT, Dodge Challenger SRT, or Camaro SS. We've seen all 3 and if you have a preference, just ask and if they have on-hand, they will try to accommodate you. My personal preference is the Mustang GT, especially if you can get one in the Premium trim level.

As far as insurance, LDW can cost you as much s $27/day, SLI would be $11.68/day, and Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage (PAI/PEC) would be $5.13/day, so you're easily looking at over $1,000 in insurance coverage alone including tax for a 3-week rental.

Let me offer you a bit of advice. You are Enterprise's best customer. The insurance is almost pure profit for them. They absolutely love to sell optional coverage. Rather than walking in and stating up-front that you will take their "premium protection package" (basically every possible coverage add-on), play it cool and let them try to sell you on it. Act like you don't really want it, but ask them if you did accept everything offered, what they could do for you in terms of a vehicle upgrade. They may be willing to give you something at the top of the class or even something from a higher class. It may not get you anything, but then again, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying if you're going to accept the coverage anyway.
tanglin likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by randix
You young kids

back to my cave!
I remember my first ever US rental, Mustang GT convertible from MIA for three weeks. I was also 26, and although I'm not 68 yet, I'm closer to it than 26 now...

Absolute heaven! You are doing this right!

BTW my personal favourite would be a Charger, but a convertible Mustang would take the biscuit, especially in Southern California .
Old May 28, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
American Muscle could be a Ford Mustang GT, Dodge Challenger SRT, or Camaro SS. We've seen all 3 and if you have a preference, just ask and if they have on-hand, they will try to accommodate you. My personal preference is the Mustang GT, especially if you can get one in the Premium trim level.

As far as insurance, LDW can cost you as much s $27/day, SLI would be $11.68/day, and Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage (PAI/PEC) would be $5.13/day, so you're easily looking at over $1,000 in insurance coverage alone including tax for a 3-week rental.

Let me offer you a bit of advice. You are Enterprise's best customer. The insurance is almost pure profit for them. They absolutely love to sell optional coverage. Rather than walking in and stating up-front that you will take their "premium protection package" (basically every possible coverage add-on), play it cool and let them try to sell you on it. Act like you don't really want it, but ask them if you did accept everything offered, what they could do for you in terms of a vehicle upgrade. They may be willing to give you something at the top of the class or even something from a higher class. It may not get you anything, but then again, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying if you're going to accept the coverage anyway.

​​​​​​Wow! Thank you for the very detailed answer. It really gave me a better perspective on the whole rental process. I really did not take the insurance cost as that high in my calculations. My brother actually wants the Camaro, but looks like it's not really recommended here lol.
I will absolutely follow your advice, it can't harm
Old May 28, 2018, 11:09 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by DanielOfir15
​​​​​​Wow! Thank you for the very detailed answer. It really gave me a better perspective on the whole rental process. I really did not take the insurance cost as that high in my calculations. My brother actually wants the Camaro, but looks like it's not really recommended here lol.
I will absolutely follow your advice, it can't harm
I've driven the 2017 Camaro SS and wasn't as impressed, but it looks like they've made significant improvements for 2018 according to this article. Your brother may be right, assuming it's a 2018 model, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with either one.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:25 am

OP, where do you live? If you book a rental car from Europe for the US you (always?) get the full insurance package included.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I've driven the 2017 Camaro SS and wasn't as impressed, but it looks like they've made significant improvements for 2018 according to .Your brother may be right, assuming it's a 2018 model, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with either one.
Yeah I wouldn't count on the 2018 model... What would you choose if not the Camaro SS?

Originally Posted by klanfa
OP, where do you live? If you book a rental car from Europe for the US you (always?) get the full insurance package included.
I'm from Israel, so looks like the insurance package is not included for me... oh well, I'll just be a good boy and let them sell it to me at the counter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.