Search

Zest and non-specific tax amount

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Zest and non-specific tax amount

Hi everyone,

got a trip to the US in August for a friend's wedding in ATL. I've got family near TPA but am flying in with EK to FLL (yes, MCO is closer, but FLL has a latest J config so...)

Either way, I'm planning to rent a car from FLL, drive up to TPA, where I'll stay for 2 nights with family, then continue onwards to MSY (stopping for 1 night on the way and then spending 1 night in MSY). From there to ATL I considered flying, driving and train. I've been looking for a way to incorporate a train trip into my itinerary and this seems like a great option, as there's a $64 Amtrak 11h train from MSY to ATL, which leaves at 7am and arrives at 7:30pm. Assuming there's decent WiFi or cell coverage I am happy to spend the day on the train while doing some work on my laptop and enjoying the view.

However, to my questions and the reason I'm posting in this forum (the above was for context), I'm looking at one-way car rentals (was specifically looking to see if Alamo was coming out cheapest so I'd go buy 3 of those $50 vouchers for 50% off today) and doing some comparisons with different websites and directly on Alamo and other rental companies I came across travelsupermarket.com which is an aggregator and took me through to Zest car rental, which appears to have pretty good reviews, and appears to be reselling Alamo's cars but for about $100-$150 less than the Alamo site.

Now my concern is that the price breakdown says (and it's in GBP for some reason): Pay Ł162.18 now and then locally $250.00 + tax, but without specifying what the tax value might be. My concern is that this might be the $100 difference to the Alamo site?

So, anyone used Zest before, are they any good, and more importantly, what could I expect the tax to be? Is it just the state-imposed tax? And if so for a one-way across states which applies? From my research in FL where I'm collecting the car it's $2/day, and in Louisiana where I'm dropping it there is no tax? (Source: http://www.ncsl.org/research/fiscal-...car-taxes.aspx)

Any advice appreciated (and not time-critical since I think I'll give the Alamo vouchers a miss anyway, too much hassle for an at-best $75 saving).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Could this simply be sales tax on the $250 one-way fee?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:26 am

Not Florida so drop off fee?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Not Florida so drop off fee?
Well the drop off fee is presumably the $250 one-way charge in the screenshot. My question is what is the "tax" amount likely to be? A drop of fee wouldn't be a tax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.