Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Extra driver in California: Does that driver have to be registered?

Old Apr 12, 18, 8:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I understand that California law allows any rental to have an additional driver for no charge.

Does that driver have to be explicitly registered with the rental company?
Old Apr 12, 18, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Yes, all drivers need to be physically present when picking up the car and showing drivers licenses. Some companies allow additional drivers to be added at a later time but only by stopping by at one of their locations with the drivers physically present and showing the licenses
Old Apr 12, 18, 9:26 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

The answer is that it depends and that the rules may vary by company. Let's take Hertz as an example:

There are two types of additional drivers as it pertains to Hertz locations in the state of CA:
  • Authorized Operators
  • Additional Authorized Operators
Authorized Operators are the employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number), or the renter's spouse. Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.

Additional Authorized Operators (AAOs) are individuals not automatically covered on the rental agreement as Authorized Operators (noted above). AAOs must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
Old Apr 12, 18, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I understand that California law allows any rental to have an additional driver for no charge.

What do the terms & conditions of the vehicle you are renting say and who is the person you intend to permit to drive, e.g. colleague, wife, hitch hiker?
Old Apr 12, 18, 11:02 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
The answer is that it depends and that the rules may vary by company. Let's take Hertz as an example:

There are two types of additional drivers as it pertains to Hertz locations in the state of CA:
  • Authorized Operators
  • Additional Authorized Operators
Authorized Operators are the employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number), or the renter's spouse. Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.

Additional Authorized Operators (AAOs) are individuals not automatically covered on the rental agreement as Authorized Operators (noted above). AAOs must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
Thank you! That's helpful. It will be a fellow employee and that employee will have rented the car at the airport; we are arriving separately.
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thank you! That's helpful. It will be a fellow employee and that employee will have rented the car at the airport; we are arriving separately.
Just to be clear, you are renting under your mutual employer's CDN.
Old Apr 12, 18, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter

California Civil Code puts four different groups of people into the category of "Authorized Driver" as follows:

(e) ďAuthorized driverĒ means all of the following:
(1) The renter.
(2) The renterís spouse, if that person is a licensed driver and satisfies the rental companyís minimum age requirement.
(3) The renterís employer or coworker, if he or she is engaged in business activity with the renter, is a licensed driver, and satisfies the rental companyís minimum age requirement.
(4) A person expressly listed by the rental company on that renterís contract as an authorized driver.
However, note that all authorized drivers are equally responsible in the case of any damage to the vehicle and that rental cars in California come with no liability insurance. I'm really careful about who gets to drive my rental cars in California. Actually, I don't let anyone else drive my rental cars in California

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Just to be clear, you are renting under your mutual employer's CDN.
Renting under a specific CDP is not listed as a requirement in California Code.
Old Apr 12, 18, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Most helpful!

Although the code itself

(e) “Authorized driver” means all of the following:
really means "any of the following," no?

Do you have a link to that section of the Code?
Old Apr 12, 18, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Do you have a link to that section of the Code?
It's 1939.01 of the Civil Code.
Old Apr 17, 18, 11:57 pm

You also need to consider what insurance you are relying on. I use an amex policy underwritten in the UK. That gives cover to me and any additional driver, providing they are explicitly named in the rental agreement. So even though (as autoslash points out) hertz don't need my spouse to be named in the rental document, I insist that this is done because it's a condition of the insurance cover that I rely on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: