FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rental Car Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion-745/)
-   -   Extra driver in California: Does that driver have to be registered? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion/1903585-extra-driver-california-does-driver-have-registered.html)

cblaisd Apr 12, 2018 8:12 am

Extra driver in California: Does that driver have to be registered?

I understand that California law allows any rental to have an additional driver for no charge.

Does that driver have to be explicitly registered with the rental company?

KP2006 Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am

Yes, all drivers need to be physically present when picking up the car and showing drivers licenses. Some companies allow additional drivers to be added at a later time but only by stopping by at one of their locations with the drivers physically present and showing the licenses

AutoSlash Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

The answer is that it depends and that the rules may vary by company. Let's take Hertz as an example:

There are two types of additional drivers as it pertains to Hertz locations in the state of CA:
  • Authorized Operators
  • Additional Authorized Operators
Authorized Operators are the employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number), or the renter's spouse. Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.

Additional Authorized Operators (AAOs) are individuals not automatically covered on the rental agreement as Authorized Operators (noted above). AAOs must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.

Often1 Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29632139)
I understand that California law allows any rental to have an additional driver for no charge.

What do the terms & conditions of the vehicle you are renting say and who is the person you intend to permit to drive, e.g. colleague, wife, hitch hiker?

cblaisd Apr 12, 2018 11:02 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 29632437)
The answer is that it depends and that the rules may vary by company. Let's take Hertz as an example:

There are two types of additional drivers as it pertains to Hertz locations in the state of CA:
  • Authorized Operators
  • Additional Authorized Operators
Authorized Operators are the employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number), or the renter's spouse. Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.

Additional Authorized Operators (AAOs) are individuals not automatically covered on the rental agreement as Authorized Operators (noted above). AAOs must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.

Thank you! That's helpful. It will be a fellow employee and that employee will have rented the car at the airport; we are arriving separately.

Often1 Apr 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29632824)
Thank you! That's helpful. It will be a fellow employee and that employee will have rented the car at the airport; we are arriving separately.

Just to be clear, you are renting under your mutual employer's CDN.

icurhere2 Apr 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29632139)

California Civil Code puts four different groups of people into the category of "Authorized Driver" as follows:

(e) “Authorized driver” means all of the following:
(1) The renter.
(2) The renter’s spouse, if that person is a licensed driver and satisfies the rental company’s minimum age requirement.
(3) The renter’s employer or coworker, if he or she is engaged in business activity with the renter, is a licensed driver, and satisfies the rental company’s minimum age requirement.
(4) A person expressly listed by the rental company on that renter’s contract as an authorized driver.
However, note that all authorized drivers are equally responsible in the case of any damage to the vehicle and that rental cars in California come with no liability insurance. I'm really careful about who gets to drive my rental cars in California. Actually, I don't let anyone else drive my rental cars in California ;)

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29633964)
Just to be clear, you are renting under your mutual employer's CDN.

Renting under a specific CDP is not listed as a requirement in California Code.

cblaisd Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Most helpful!

Although the code itself

really means "any of the following," no?

Do you have a link to that section of the Code?

icurhere2 Apr 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29634818)
Do you have a link to that section of the Code?

It's 1939.01 of the Civil Code.

rcspeirs Apr 17, 2018 11:57 pm

You also need to consider what insurance you are relying on. I use an amex policy underwritten in the UK. That gives cover to me and any additional driver, providing they are explicitly named in the rental agreement. So even though (as autoslash points out) hertz don't need my spouse to be named in the rental document, I insist that this is done because it's a condition of the insurance cover that I rely on.

s0ssos Sep 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 29654393)
You also need to consider what insurance you are relying on. I use an amex policy underwritten in the UK. That gives cover to me and any additional driver, providing they are explicitly named in the rental agreement. So even though (as autoslash points out) hertz don't need my spouse to be named in the rental document, I insist that this is done because it's a condition of the insurance cover that I rely on.

So if someone is under the authorized driver group in California, do rental liability policies have to cover them? As in, is that in conflict with the law?
Because National said I couldn't add (cause it was a direct bill) and lady just said they are covered, don't worry.

AutoSlash Sep 28, 2021 3:13 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 33601752)
So if someone is under the authorized driver group in California, do rental liability policies have to cover them? As in, is that in conflict with the law?
Because National said I couldn't add (cause it was a direct bill) and lady just said they are covered, don't worry.

Yes, if someone is an authorized driver and listed on the rental contract as such, they would be covered under SLI if it was purchased from the rental company, or included on the contract as in the case of a corporate contract. The nuance in California is just that additional drivers, regardless of relationship do not pay a fee.

Nowhere in National's general terms and conditions do they say that an additional driver does not have to be listed on the contract:

See: https://www.nationalcar.com/en/suppo...iver-fees.html

Any additional authorized drivers must appear at time of rental and meet age and driver’s license requirements.
Keep in mind that it's possible that your company's contract with National may stipulate that if you are traveling on business, then any employees of your company traveling with you are automatically considered additional drivers. That could supersede the general language listed on their website.

As for whether National is capable of adding an authorized driver to a rental contract in all cases, we cannot say, but we'd push to have any additional drivers listed on the contract to be on the safe side. If the rental agent refuses or says it cannot be done, you could always record that interaction on your phone (in certain states including CA you should make the other party aware you are recording) so you have documented proof just in case something happens. That may be overkill, but better safe than sorry, and, you asked. :)

s0ssos Sep 28, 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 33602018)
Yes, if someone is an authorized driver and listed on the rental contract as such, they would be covered under SLI if it was purchased from the rental company, or included on the contract as in the case of a corporate contract. The nuance in California is just that additional drivers, regardless of relationship do not pay a fee.

I'm not a lawyer but the code in California seems to indicate differently, that the renter is "just an authorized driver", meaning that they all have the same rights:

(1) The renter.

(2) The renter’s spouse, if that person is a licensed driver and satisfies the rental company’s minimum age requirement.

(3) The renter’s employer or coworker, if he or she is engaged in business activity with the renter, is a licensed driver, and satisfies the rental company’s minimum age requirement.

(4) A person expressly listed by the rental company on that renter’s contract as an authorized driver.
So whether being expressly listed is the same as as 1 (being the renter) or 2 or 3 (some type of relationship). And I presume same rights?

I didn't read more into the code, but later it states:

(c) A rental company shall not recover from an authorized driver for an item described in Section 1939.03 to the extent the rental company obtains recovery from another person.

abcx Mar 8, 2022 8:45 pm

Does the CA additional driver law only allow one additional driver for free or can there be more than one for free (as long as they meet the new 2022 family member criteria of course)?

AutoSlash Mar 8, 2022 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by abcx (Post 34059920)
Does the CA additional driver law only allow one additional driver for free or can there be more than one for free (as long as they meet the new 2022 family member criteria of course)?

No limit on the number of drivers as long as they meet the relationship criteria.