Car rental accidents

Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Car rental accidents

Question- I rented a car and added fiancé as authorized driver. I put it on credit card. On the way home from vacation our rental was hit in the back by a lady with no insurance that drove off as we called the police. My fiancé was driving so we reported it to his insurance but I remember something about being the insurance carrier bc I paid on my credit card. His insurance took the info, rental place took his info but we have to return car still. Will the rental place accept his insurancesince he was authorized or will I have to claim it?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Sheather
Question- I rented a car and added fiancé as authorized driver. I put it on credit card. On the way home from vacation our rental was hit in the back by a lady with no insurance that drove off as we called the police. My fiancé was driving so we reported it to his insurance but I remember something about being the insurance carrier bc I paid on my credit card. His insurance took the info, rental place took his info but we have to return car still. Will the rental place accept his insurancesince he was authorized or will I have to claim it?
The rental car company will take any insurance that is willing to pay the claim.

To be honest, they won't really enforce anything: they'll hand you a form to fill out and you can fill whatever you want on the form. The return agent doesn't know anything about insurance; all they've been told is to have customers with damage fill that form out.

The claims/damage recovery/loss control unit will process your form within a couple of weeks. They'll probably send a demand letter to the insurance company you put on the form. They don't really care who they send it to, they just want a check. If the insurance company you put on the paper sends them a check, great. If not, they'll send you the bill and you'll be on the hook to pay it (and can then submit to be reimbursed by one of your insurance companies).
lougord99 and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Sheather
Does the credit card to which you charged the rental offer rental-car coverage, and if it does, is that coverage primary or secondary?

Did you get the license plate number of the car that hit you? If the other driver drove off, how do you know that there was no insurance on her car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.