Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which rental cars come with "advanced" driving features by default?

Old Apr 1, 18, 1:46 am
Original Poster

First, let's define "advanced" driving features. Not talking about Tesla, but more basic stuff that includes adaptive cruise control and lane departure warnings.

I don't rent a lot, but so far it seems only Toyoto Corolla models can be relied on to have such features.

I've tried looking into Hyundai Elantra and Nissan Sentra, but those only have normal cruise control.

For those who rent a lot, are there any make/models of rental cars that have a high chance of having these features? I only pay intermediate rates, so please no luxury/exotic cars.
Old Apr 1, 18, 1:54 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

The short answer is that almost no rental cars in the intermediate class come with adaptive cruise control. While the makes/models and trim levels vary by company and luck of the draw, I can't recall a single time I've seen any sort of adaptive cruise control. I have seen lane departure warning features on a few newer cars, but it's been pretty spotty. If you want to try your luck, sign up for National Emerald Club and/or Hertz Gold Rewards and rent from an airport location that has Emerald Aisle service or Hertz Ultimate Choice. The bigger the location the better as you will have more to choose from. That said, you'll have to walk around the lot and try to spot a vehicle that has the features you want, which may not always be easy.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I've probably rented, what, 200 cars in the last 5ish years?

At least 150 of them have been premium cars.

I have only ever received one car with adaptive cruise: a Volvo S60 from either Budget or National (I forget which) near downtown YVR. (It also had rudimentary automatic steering, and this was in ca. 2013, so before the big push by Uber et al. for self-driving cars.)

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up that you'll ever see this feature with any regularity on any rentals, especially if you're only renting midsizes.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
The market is changing fast. For example, the new 2018 Camry's will have some those features as standard (Dynamic CC, Precollision system, lane departure alert, steering assist). Same with most Corolla trim levels.

So, I assume you will start seeing more and more rental vehicles with these systems, much like traction control, ABS, and other things every rental car currently has, were once rare.
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:47 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Hertz has 2018 Toyota Corollas with adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning/lane assist. Mind you, both features are not great. The adaptive cruise control disengages if the target vehicle slows down to the point where the speed goes under 40 kmph. There is no low follow or stop/go. Lane departure warning and lane assist isn't very aggressive. I found it only works under 25% of the time. Very poor quality. The pre-collision detection works flawlessly. No blindspot indicator system,

Hertz and Enterprise has various Volvo models. They will have everything usually (adaptive cruise control, blindspot, lane keeping, engine cut when stopped in traffic etc). Volvo has one of the best set of advanced technology features in the industry.

I am assuming the Audis Hertz and Enterprise has would offer advanced technology features but I've been yet to try out an Audi.
Old Apr 5, 18, 9:53 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by manohman View Post
Hertz and Enterprise has various Volvo models. They will have everything usually (adaptive cruise control, blindspot, lane keeping, engine cut when stopped in traffic etc). Volvo has one of the best set of advanced technology features in the industry.
A Volvo S80 I rented from Hertz in California about a year ago had none of that, sadly.
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
A Volvo S80 I rented from Hertz in California about a year ago had none of that, sadly.
The S80?? That's an old car. I didn't know they still had them in the fleet or even had them to begin with.
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
All new Toyotas come with the lane departure/adaptive aids, per an ad I recently saw.

The Volvo XC90 also has them standard. Haven't see any others with it as standard yet.
Old Apr 6, 18, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
All new Toyotas come with the lane departure/adaptive aids, per an ad I recently saw.
They have a lot of work to do. The features are mediocre on Toyota.
Old Apr 6, 18, 10:08 am

That's kaizen at work for you.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:55 am

It's all still standard though which is a good thing. Honestly at the very least I think Blind spot detection should be standard.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I've probably rented, what, 200 cars in the last 5ish years?

At least 150 of them have been premium cars.

I have only ever received one car with adaptive cruise: a Volvo S60 from either Budget or National (I forget which) near downtown YVR. (It also had rudimentary automatic steering, and this was in ca. 2013, so before the big push by Uber et al. for self-driving cars.)

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up that you'll ever see this feature with any regularity on any rentals, especially if you're only renting midsizes.
I've rented about the same number of cars in the past few years, but I stick mostly to intermediate/full size. Only 2 cars I've ever had with those features were a Lincoln MKT from Avis maybe 2 years ago (adaptive cruise and lane departure), and a GMC Yukon from Hertz (lane departure only). I seem to recall someone posting recently that Hertz has some 2018 Mazda SUV's with adaptive cruise.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:43 am

Apart from the Toyota Corolla, Rav4, and 2018 Camry, I don't think there are really any common non-premium cars that have many safety features.

Usually the best bet for a premium car are Volvos. I've had adaptive cruise in the S60/S60 Cross Country, V60, and S90 rentals from Hertz. The S90 T6 Inscription even had the Tesla-like pilot assist feature as well as a very advanced 360 degree parking camera. I think the only other common car I've rented in Canada or the US with adaptive cruise was the Ford Taurus Limited.

Apart from that, Cadillacs I've gotten such as the CTS or XT5 usually come with blind spot monitoring, lane departure, and forward collision warning, but no adaptive cruise. Quite a few rental cars can come with blind spot monitoring such as the 300S, Stelvio, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Yukon, Fusion, etc.

The last few LXXX rental cars I've gotten in Europe have all come with adaptive cruise control but strangely no backup cameras.
Old Apr 10, 18, 12:51 am

The Nissan Rogue SL has adaptive cruise. I once drove it from Las Vegas to NYC and it was awesome
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
First, let's define "advanced" driving features. Not talking about Tesla, but more basic stuff that includes adaptive cruise control and lane departure warnings.

I don't rent a lot, but so far it seems only Toyoto Corolla models can be relied on to have such features.

I've tried looking into Hyundai Elantra and Nissan Sentra, but those only have normal cruise control.

For those who rent a lot, are there any make/models of rental cars that have a high chance of having these features? I only pay intermediate rates, so please no luxury/exotic cars.
The Ford Fusion Titanium has ACC and lane departure control! This is pretty much the only car I rent, and I can rent it at a Full-Size rent. I loved this car so much, I ended up financing one for my wife!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: