Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to handle open return due to medical emergency w/ rental car company

Old Mar 31, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

My wife has to travel tomorrow due to her mother falling and breaking her hip. Her mother is having surgery tonight and I don't know how many days my wife will need to be at her destination. She will fly to Atlanta and then drive to Auburn, AL which is 2 hours away.

How do I handle with car rental company? It could be 3-7 days. Do I make a 7-day reservation and return early? Do I make a 3-day reservation
and keep the car for as long as necessary?

Any advice on how to handle is appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony
Old Mar 31, 18, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How you can handle this depends on your wife's family.

No one knows how long she has to stay. So if there is another family member who can give out rides to her, then the problem solved.

If needed and possible, your wife could rent locally.

I will only book this to the minimum as needed.
Old Mar 31, 18, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Read the rate terms carefully. Presuming that you find a rate which does not penalize an early return, book for the 7 days and your wife can return the car when she is done.

Don't get her roped into prepaid and fixed rates to save a few bucks on the rate because the total may come out a lot more.
Old Mar 31, 18, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick feedback!
Old Mar 31, 18, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by atwnsw2 View Post
Thank you for your quick feedback!
Will your wife need a car once she gets to Auburn? If not, consider two one-way, one-day rentals if the prices are reasonable.
Old Mar 31, 18, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Will your wife need a car once she gets to Auburn? If not, consider two one-way, one-day rentals if the prices are reasonable.
Agreed. Especially if her mother has a car that can be used in Auburn by your wife.
It wont' be 3 days. Would expect to be longer.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
All else being equal, I would err on the side of reserving for longer than you'll need and returning early. With the companies/locations that do charge penalties for early/late returns, the penalty for an early return is usually less (a flat $10-15 or so) than the penalty for an extension (which can be $10-15 per day). And with the rest of the companies (the ones that don't have a return change fee), it's less hassle to just return it early than it is to keep calling and extending your rental and hoping they let you keep the same rate plan every time you call to extend.

The major things to be aware of when returning early are:

-Losing out on a weekend rate by not satisfying the minimum keep requirement
-Screwing up a weekly rate to a higher daily rate; not commonly an issue but it can happen

Otherwise, the rule of "you only pay for however long you keep the car" generally applies, and you'll get charged less when returning early.
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:00 am

Depending on the company as well you can easily just extend the rental on the app or through the phone. I think Avis charges to do so but national doesn't. Of course it would be easier if you signed up for their programs since you can do it in the app.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: