Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Way Rental and Border Patrol

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

One Way Rental and Border Patrol

We've got a one way rental reserved to Canada from New England. We are taking a cruise from Quebec City to NY City.
Will we get get extra scrutiny or have issues with Border Patrol getting into Canada?
Don't want to miss the boat!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:25 pm

I don't think so. Multiple entries into Canada in a rental car and never questioned about it (didn't have to show registration or anything about the car).
shuttercookie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:48 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You should not have any issues at all. I've done it myself and all they really care about is your passport.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuttercookie
We've got a one way rental reserved to Canada from New England. We are taking a cruise from Quebec City to NY City.
Will we get get extra scrutiny or have issues with Border Patrol getting into Canada?
Don't want to miss the boat!
Just be aware that, even if you don't have such issues, depending on the border and the time, you may face long lines. So don't miss your boat because of that.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just be aware that, even if you don't have such issues, depending on the border and the time, you may face long lines. So don't miss your boat because of that.
Mmm... maybe we will head up the day before to cover all bases!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In a word, no. Border Patrol has nothing to do with this and this is purely a CBSA issue. Canada's sole interest is that those entering have a means of leaving. Yours is a boat and you presumably have documentation to show that.

No need to volunteer the cruise paperwork, but if you are asked how you plan on leaving Canada, give the truthful answer and be prepared to show the paperwork.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance!
Went into AAA for my maps for this trip and the rep told me I would be turned around with a one way rental.
Think they need some reps there who actually travel.
Appreciate hearing first hand experiences.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You'll be 100% fine. Sometimes CBSA border agents can come off a little jerk-ish, which AFAICT is an act/ruse/play to trip untruthful people up. Just be completely honest about your travel plans--don't unnecessarily volunteer any information they don't ask for, but don't hide anything if they do--and even if you feel annoyed with them and their line of questioning, just remain calm and answer truthfully and you'll be fine. I once sort of rolled my eyes at an officer who was being rude and interrupting me and they made the process much more difficult for me (made me get out and searched my car and wait in line inside to get interviewed by officers). If I had remained in control of my eye movements, I probably would have been through in 5 minutes instead of 45.

They just want to be satisfied that you are legally entering the country and don't have any intent to commit illegal acts while there. The fact you're in a one-way car rental really isn't even on their radar, unless it comes up in the course of questioning you about how you're going to leave the country, in which case your answer is the cruise. Be polite, patient, and pleasant and you'll have no issues.

I've driven between BOS and YUL/YQB many times and have never had any major delays at the borders. You can monitor a few web pages during your journey and adjust to a different crossing if need be:

Border Wait Times
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/border-times (I think the same info as above)
Québec 511 (live webcams)
https://open.canada.ca/data/en/datas...7-458c51dacfef (historical data for comparison purposes)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:19 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
If you're Canadian resident, try to get a vehicle with ON plate instead of US plate. It has to do with vehicle import and CBSA doesn't like one way rental if they can't ensure the vehicle will not remain in Canada.

See Entering Canada by road in a US vehicle
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jix
If you're Canadian resident, try to get a vehicle with ON plate instead of US plate. It has to do with vehicle import and CBSA doesn't like one way rental if they can't ensure the vehicle will not remain in Canada.

I believe that is old information. Sometime in the last several years, Canadian law changed and Canadian residents are now permitted to drive US-plated vehicles into Canada. Confirm with a more authoritative source first before trusting my information but I"m 99% sure it's the case now.

ETA: Here's one source mentioning the change: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-s-rental-cars

Last edited by jackal; Apr 30, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:32 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by jackal
I believe that is old information. Sometime in the last several years, Canadian law changed and Canadian residents are now permitted to drive US-plated vehicles into Canada. Confirm with a more authoritative source first before trusting my information but I"m 99% sure it's the case now.

ETA: Here's one source mentioning the change: Adami: Ottawa man may have driven change to rule barring U.S. rental cars | Ottawa Citizen
Well yeah, if you are Canadian resident they won't/can't turn you away, it's just that they can levy import duties/tariff. The MEMORANDUM D2-4-1 in the link is the key, as long as one fulfills the eligible requirement regarding rental vehicles. It's the one way rental that might be the issue because CBSA can't be sure that the vehicle will leave the country.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:35 pm

Actually, the article makes it sound like one way rentals from the US to Canada were precisely why the rule changed, recognizing the reality that many Canadians will fly to a nearby cheaper US airport and want to drive home. The assumption is the car will be rented one way to the US within 30 days. But it's not the renter's responsibility and therefore not their place to pay any taxes.

Remember, rentals are not treated like personal cars in many ways, such as MSRP, registration (there's some kind of apportioned system, hence the story of Hertz Blount County TN plates), insurance (many companies self insure), and taxes.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix

We are US citizens.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:16 am

I (US Citizen) picked up a car in Detroit this weekend and dropped it off Sunday in Canada to catch a flight back to the US. No problems when crossing the border. I had a printed rental agreement ready if he asked about the car (Texas plated), but the only questions were about why I was going to be in Canada and for how long.

I dropped the car off, and noted a few rentals on the lot with US plates (Ohio, Michigan, ect...) so it's not like nobody ever does that.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input.
We did our one-way rental without any issues.
The guard looked at our passports, asked why we were coming and waved us through without a second glance.
Our initial concern that prompted this post was due to our AAA agent telling us that a one way rental "was not allowed".
I should think someone working at AAA would have better info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.