Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Credit cards that give damage/theft insurance when renting on car rental points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi, I'm looking to rent a car using Hertz points (but this question applies to any free car rental so not Hertz specific) and I'm wondering which credit cards I can use to pay for the tax/fees and still get the insurance.

Most cards specifically state the full rental needs to be paid for using the card, and I've even seen some that state using the card to pay for only tax/fees isn't enough.

The one example I've seen that does give coverage is the former Citi Hilton Reserve, which stated that a rental agency promo or discount could be applied, and the Reserve could be used to pay for the rest. So probably other Citi cards have similar language, and are there any other examples?
BTW I'm not interested in cards that give protection only when using points from its own reward program (like using UR points to rent a car with a Sapphire card) but when using Avis, Hertz, etc points.

Last edited by goofygoofygooberyeah; Feb 11, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:41 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Have you looked at AmEx premium rental protection? Costs $20 or $25 per rental, depending on what coverage you need. But this *should* cover you on rentals where you're using points. Worth double-checking as I haven't read their T&C recently.

EDIT: Scratch the above, unless you're paying with AmEx MR points. I don't want to delete it, just so it's a reference for anyone else that searches for it in the future. American Express terms note:
Entire Rental means the full rental cost for a Rental Vehicle, less any applicable Rental Company discount/coupon applied to the rental rate, charged to an eligible American Express Card and/or combined with American Express Membership Reward Points or American Express Pay with Points programs. Entire Rental does not include fees on a Rental Vehicle defrayed in full or in part with loyalty points from the Rental Companies or Common Carrier Frequent Flyer Miles.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
Hi, I'm looking to rent a car using Hertz points (but this question applies to any free car rental so not Hertz specific) and I'm wondering which credit cards I can use to pay for the tax/fees and still get the insurance.

Most cards specifically state the full rental needs to be paid for using the card, and I've even seen some that state using the card to pay for only tax/fees isn't enough.

The one example I've seen that does give coverage is the former Citi Hilton Reserve, which stated that a rental agency promo or discount could be applied, and the Reserve could be used to pay for the rest. So probably other Citi cards have similar language, and are there any other examples?
BTW I'm not interested in cards that give protection only when using points from its own reward program (like using UR points to rent a car with a Sapphire card) but when using Avis, Hertz, etc points.
As I recall, the Chase terms require that no outside methods be used to pay for the rental, but that rentals using Hertz points or Chase UR points would qualify (but, for example, rentals using Amex vouchers would not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.