Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to go north from BOS car rental without paying tolls?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to go north from BOS car rental without paying tolls?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Question How to go north from BOS car rental without paying tolls?

I don't mind paying the tolls, but want to avoid paying $13/day to rent a transponder for 5 days when I only really need it to get out of Boston and then back into Boston, and for 3 full days wouldn't need it at all. I'm headed to Gorham, NH. People have said to take 1A to Revere, then 1, and go on from there. Look for signs to Revere because 1A splits off. But I'm worried about getting in a jam where I can't back up or turn around and end up having to get on a toll road and then the fines will be $75, at each booth I believe. Looking at the maps I can't see exactly how to get to 1A from EZ Rent-A-Car at the airport. Can anyone explain exactly how to do that? Also does 1A become 60 in Revere and then joins with 1 a little farther on? That's what it looks like.

Another possible option? Can a person take the subway blue line to Revere and then rent a car from there? I don't see what looks like a rental place very close to any of the subway stops, and can't tell how it would be to walk.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
David
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:03 pm

Just set your GPS to avoid toll.
Both Apple Maps and Google Maps has the Avoid Toll function built in.

For Apple Maps : Enter Destination > drag up the route selection tab > Driving options > Avoid Toll
For Google Maps: Enter Destination > directions > the ... icon next on the origin field > Route options > Avoid tolls
jackal, nopeda and seawolf like this.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jan 17, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Your phone's GPS is absolutely necessary in BOS and especially near the airport. The roads make plates of spaghetti in the North End look straight. Definitely use that with the "avoid toll" function enabled.

That said, it's not too difficult to get headed the correct way on 1A from the car rental center (I've done it myself half a dozen times). I've attached a couple of screenshots below.

Revere is supposedly a little on the rougher side, especially near Shirley Ave/Revere Beach. Some people might suggest not walking around that area. That said, there is an Enterprise off 1A not far from the Revere Beach T stop, and they may come to the T station and pick you up. There's a Hertz a little further up 1A that may also do the same (Enterprise is better known for "We'll pick you up," but other local neighborhood locations with other companies often do, too).

That said, unless those branches are significantly cheaper than renting anywhere else or at the airport, I wouldn't bother. It's not that difficult to pick up at the airport and get going on the correct road, especially with GPS to guide you. You could also take the Silver Line downtown from the airport for free. There are several options there, including Budget, Avis, Enterprise, Dollar, Hertz, and National all within a relatively easy walk of South station. There aren't any tolls on I-93 north from downtown.

Lastly, you could just get your own E-ZPass for free: https://www.ezdrivema.com/ezpassma.

​​​​​​​
nopeda likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Your phone's GPS is absolutely necessary in BOS and especially near the airport. The roads make plates of spaghetti in the North End look straight. Definitely use that with the "avoid toll" function enabled.

That said, it's not too difficult to get headed the correct way on 1A from the car rental center (I've done it myself half a dozen times). I've attached a couple of screenshots below.
. . .
There aren't any tolls on I-93 north from downtown.

Lastly, you could just get your own E-ZPass for free: https://www.ezdrivema.com/ezpassma.

Thank you people for your help! I wasn't "allowed" to view your screenshots. Chrome will only let me go to websites that if feels like letting me go to lately. This time it whined:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
cimg6.ibsrv.net uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

In the past I could click Details and at the bottom of the page it would give the option of going to the site even though Chrome didn't approve, but now it won't even give that option any more. I downloaded Firefox and at first that went wherever I wanted, but now it won't go anywhere at all. Every once in a while I'll spend 30 or 40 minutes trying to find ways to get F#*! G*#! D#!* Chrome to do what I want, but always give up so far. I also looked in the Settings to see if there's any option for it to just go where in the F#!* H*!# I select to go, but found no such option. Hopefully the rental car will be more cooperative.

Thanks again!!!
​​​​​​​David
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nopeda
Thank you people for your help! I wasn't "allowed" to view your screenshots. Chrome will only let me go to websites that if feels like letting me go to lately. This time it whined:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
cimg6.ibsrv.net uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

In the past I could click Details and at the bottom of the page it would give the option of going to the site even though Chrome didn't approve, but now it won't even give that option any more. I downloaded Firefox and at first that went wherever I wanted, but now it won't go anywhere at all. Every once in a while I'll spend 30 or 40 minutes trying to find ways to get F#*! G*#! D#!* Chrome to do what I want, but always give up so far. I also looked in the Settings to see if there's any option for it to just go where in the F#!* H*!# I select to go, but found no such option. Hopefully the rental car will be more cooperative.

Thanks again!!!
David
Odd. That error means that either the server (hosted by the company that owns FlyerTalk) is broken or something in your computer or Chrome installation is broken. I think the latter, since AFAICT, the SSL certificates are valid and work fine in my Chrome. Tech support is a little beyond this forum, but try these links to get around the error:

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flye...ee6e818daf.png

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flye...ac5fce95a6.png
nopeda likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Odd. That error means that either the server (hosted by the company that owns FlyerTalk) is broken or something in your computer or Chrome installation is broken. I think the latter, since AFAICT, the SSL certificates are valid and work fine in my Chrome. Tech support is a little beyond this forum, but try these links to get around the error:

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flye...ee6e818daf.png

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flye...ac5fce95a6.png
Those links worked great. Thank you! I don't know what the problem is but feel sure it's on my end.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:33 am

I'm probably late responding to this but I think if you don't mind taking a subway or bus... you could look into the Greyhound bus. A lot of people end up at Logan when they need to travel to another state. Not sure if the subway or train also goes directly to NH. But the "Silver Line" out of Logan is free which takes you to "South Station" (Boston )and at that station they have the Greyhound and some other options. Greyhound is about $15 if you do it online in advance. You'd be avoiding gas and tolls that way and make it all the way to Manchester, NH airport where you could grab your rental car. There are a few tolls from the NH line to Manchester you'd also get out of.
Revere isn't the greatest area as someone else said... and Boston in general is a mess to drive in if you've never done it before.. GPS isn't always reliable in Boston either so if nothing there interests you then just get on the highway and stay there. And don't freak at people driving 90mph or flying in the breakdown lane....It's normal here.

An EZ Pass should be enough? That is what most people have that live here and it works in NH. Enterprise has some info on their website about it: There are a few tolls once you cross the NH line but last I knew you can still pay cash.

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...achusetts.html

Maybe some other options here:

Public Transportation to Boston Logan International Airport

Boston Express - Boston Express ? Connecting Tyngsboro, Nashua, Manchester, Londonderry and Salem to Boston and Logan Airport
Ground Transportation at Boston Logan International Airport

Last edited by NotGoing.Gone.; Feb 7, 2018 at 12:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.