Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help trying to avoid rental car ripoffs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help trying to avoid rental car ripoffs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Question Please help trying to avoid rental car ripoffs

I want to fly from ATL to BOS and rent a car for 5 days to go up into NH. The first attempt was the supposed bundle and save package by expedia. They didn't even pretend to save you any money on flights or car rental. From there I tried rentalcars.com who at Google said cars from $6/day. Going to their site there was nothing for $6 but there were supposed options for twice that price at $12/day, BUT!!!, the lowest total price for 5 days was $118. My calculator says 12 X 5 is $60, so their best price is over twice what they say. So I tried expedia for just rental cars and they list cars for $12/day and the 5 day cost is around $60:

BUT!!! looking at the details that have check marks by them some of the text and check marks are green and some of the text and check marks are black. Is that a way of tricking us into thinking they have Unlimited mileage and then they charge us for mileage when we return the vehicle? Or...??? Can anyone suggest the most economical way to rent a small car (it's just me with 2 bags) for 5 days (Feb 10-14) to drive from BOS up into NH and back to BOS?

Thank you for any help!
David
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by nopeda
I want to fly from ATL to BOS and rent a car for 5 days to go up into NH. The first attempt was the supposed bundle and save package by expedia. They didn't even pretend to save you any money on flights or car rental.
David
Not surprising. I think their savings are typically on hotels, where they get a kick-back from the hotel in a booking fee.

From there I tried rentalcars.com who at Google said cars from $6/day.
Did they list specific dates at $6/day or maybe they have it for that price at other times?

From there I tried rentalcars.com who at Google said cars from $6/day. Going to their site there was nothing for $6 but there were supposed options for twice that price at $12/day, BUT!!!, the lowest total price for 5 days was $118. My calculator says 12 X 5 is $60, so their best price is over twice what they say. So I tried expedia for just rental cars and they list cars for $12/day and the 5 day cost is around $60:
Is the 12/day exclusive of taxes?

Can anyone suggest the most economical way to rent a small car (it's just me with 2 bags) for 5 days (Feb 10-14) to drive from BOS up into NH and back to BOS?
General comments here are usually:
1. Look at a few sites (Kayak, rental car sites, Expedia, Costco Travel, etc) and get the best rate you can. Book it as long as it's not prepaid.
2. Go to AutoSlash.com and put in your details and they can watch to see if something else drops lower.
3. Also look at rental sites just off-site. For 5 days, you might be able to get cheaper off-site somewhere since they typically don't have the airport fees/taxes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Renting at Boston airport incurs a LOT of taxes and airport fees. A five day rental with a rate of $12/day would incur $6/day in airport fees, a $10/rental convention center surcharge, and about 20% in total taxes on the rental rate. So, while the rental rate might be only $60 for five days, the taxes and airport fees would be around $50 on top of that.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: 1MM UA
... the lowest total price for 5 days was $118. ...
I think this is a very good price.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sosafan
Yes and make sure that you can drive the car to another state.
Franchise locations try to add extra charges, especially in the NE US, as opposed to locations that are company owned.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by sosafan
Agreed. It's around $12/day before taxes. Honestly, it's so good that I question whether it really is all-in.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Agreed. It's around $12/day before taxes. Honestly, it's so good that I question whether it really is all-in.
At their site I didn't see where it said unlimited mileage, but it may have and I missed it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: HH Silver
BOS does have awfully high rates. I found my sister a rental downtown for a quarter of the price, and she was able to drop back at the airport. Since she was spending the night downtown anyway, just took transport to hotel, then picked car up the next day. You might look into that if you have not already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.