Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Renters who don't fill up on gas quite all the way to F...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renters who don't fill up on gas quite all the way to F...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by atsak
I have occasionally filled up a rental 15 or 20 miles from the return (when I did not know the area and was not sure where a safe fill up location was near the airport and google maps was no help) but I do make sure to top up the tank past the first click (usually just a few cents more) to try and be fair, and I am usually driving more efficient vehicles (ie not an Expedition or Suburban). Generally I do it right outside the airport otherwise if I've noticed a station on my way out. I rented about 30 cars last year (RDU, AUS, HOU, IAD, LGA, TPA, GSO, CLT, DCA, YVR) mostly from Budget (couple Avis, Enterprise and Alamo thrown in) and I think they were all full except 1 (maybe 2, but only remember 1). I don't think this is too big a problem, at least in my experience.
Topping up after the click does nothing but waste gas and can actually harm the car.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:31 pm

I think I had this happen once....didn't really realize what was going on until i read this post!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:28 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by m907
Topping up after the click does nothing but waste gas and can actually harm the car.
While I understand there's a small chance it can harm a vehicle, how does topping it off "waste gas"?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Squeezing a little more gas after the first click will not waste gas or harm the car. There is a very small risk from fuel vapor, but this is mitigated on vapor recovery hoses.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
While I understand there's a small chance it can harm a vehicle, how does topping it off "waste gas"?
Depending on how the tank and the pump are configured, the extra gas can either be drained out by your car or sucked back in to the pump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.