Dollar Rental in Florida: Toll Question

Old Jul 27, 17, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Dollar Rental in Florida: Toll Question

Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
We're going to be driving from FLL to the Keys then from the Keys to Orlando dropping off at MCO. I have limited driving experience in FL but I seem to recall lots of tolls around Orlando?

What are my options with a National rental? Should I pay the tolls in the cash lane or do I have to go with the $3.95/day plus tolls that I see on the website?

How does that work if I don't run into any tolls until day 7 of a 10 day rental? Am I charged for 3 days or 10? What if there is a toll on day 1 and not another for the entire rental?

Any way to use my MA EZ PASS account?

Any way to avoid toll roads and still make decent time from Key Largo to Orlando on a Thursday late morning?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 27, 17, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Hi. Just back from Orlando. Rental car was through Dollar. Never signed up for Electronic Tolls as never crossed any. However, we did go through several small cash tolls, not least on the way to and from airport. We paid cash at the manned booth and got change. All good so far. On second day though, we hit a cash toll on the way to Kennedy Space Centre. This was an exact change toll and was NOT manned. We did not have change, only notes. We had to drive through. Dollar have not been very helpful so far. I completed an online form explaining the details (after I got home), and I am happy for them to take the $2 off my credit card. I am also ok with a $15 admin fee I heard about. For that type of toll and the circumanstances, 1) what is the worst that can happen 2) What can Dollar do about this? 3) Is there a contact method for Dollar to sort these things out? 4) Is there a time-delay in that if you wait too long to notify them they might slap a huge fine on you? 5) will Dollar just take the $2 + any small admin fee off credit card without asking me?
Thanks
Stuart
Old Jul 27, 17, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Exact Change Tolls Orlando (unmanned): what happens if you can't pay?

In a Dollar rental car in Orlando, what happens if you do NOT have change when you reach and go through an un-manned exact change toll booth ($2)?
I did this once. The next manned toll booth I told the story to the girl who gave me a slip with a phone number, however it says quite clearly that if you have a rental car you must contact the rental company direct. Dollar are not easy to contact (certainly from back in UK).
Has anyone any idea what happens here?
Has anyone got contact details for Dollar to sort this very thing out?
Or do they just take the $2 + this $15 admin fee off my credit card?

Regards
Stuart
Old Jul 30, 17, 5:02 am

Hello kingy2000. Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned. The Dollar website has the following information:
What is a ‘cashless’ toll road?
In some states, there are cashless roads where there is no option to pay cash in a traditional tollbooth. The license plate of vehicles without a registered toll pass is captured by camera and the rental company is billed for the toll. As per the terms of the rental contract, these toll charges, plus an administrative fee per event, is billed to the credit card on file.
Link: https://www.dollar.com/Help/FAQs/Par...llCharges.aspx

We do have lots of toll roads here in Florida that are cashless. The system to bill the tolls back to the registered owner of the vehicle (Dollar) isn't quick. But, once they see the toll, they should bill the credit card attached to your rental for the amount plus the administrative fee.

I don't think you need to worry. But, if you want, you can try to contact Dollar in the UK via "Customer Service (non UK rentals only)" on this page: https://www.dollar.co.uk/contact-us.htm

Clicking on the link will take you to a Thrifty Car Rental webpage with a form. If you don't know, Dollar and Thrifty are all part of Hertz. So, it's not some phishing scheme. Hopefully you'll get a response that confirms that your toll charges will be paid via your credit card.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 6, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta SM
Look into getting your own Sunpass portable transponder. You can buy one at Publix for $20 and you need to keep a minimum of $10 in your Sunpass account. You need to register the vehicle on the Sunpass app before you go thru any tolls. You will be billed directly instead of going thru the rental car company. For me, toll problem solved.
Old Aug 6, 17, 10:01 pm

I think...

Originally Posted by zoo260 View Post
Look into getting your own Sunpass portable transponder. You can buy one at Publix for $20 and you need to keep a minimum of $10 in your Sunpass account. You need to register the vehicle on the Sunpass app before you go thru any tolls. You will be billed directly instead of going thru the rental car company. For me, toll problem solved.
and I'm only "speaking" on my own behalf although I imagine many have the same concern (regardless how many times it may be put to rest)...

Whether I'm in Florida, California, New Jersey or the North Pole...

If I rent a car and it has (a) a transponder attached to the window which I may or may not be able to "disable"; or (b) a sticker on the window which has embedded toll sensitive codes, to what extent does any of that:

1. Negate/block the use of my own transponder that I purchase, register and enter the rental company license plate; or

2. Negate the use of my going online to the relevant authority and entering my rental car license plate and a credit card for charges.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: