Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car [insurance - US]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Rental car [insurance - US]

My son and i are going to California in 2 weeks. We will rent a car for 6 days. What do we need for insurance? Do we need to bring our own? My son's insurance agent told me to purchase insurance from the rental company because if we should have an accident we can just walk away. Is that true?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Welcome to FlyerTalk @Marion Carr!

I moved your question to the relevant forum.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Marion Carr
My son and i are going to California in 2 weeks. We will rent a car for 6 days. What do we need for insurance? Do we need to bring our own? My son's insurance agent told me to purchase insurance from the rental company because if we should have an accident we can just walk away. Is that true?
It's true that if you purchase LDW from the car-rental company, you won't have to file a claim with your own insurance for damage to the rental car itself. But if you damage someone else's property or injure someone else, you'd still have to file a claim with your insurer for those third-party damages.

Will you be charging the rental to a credit-card that provides either primary or secondary rental-car loss/damage coverage?

Regardless of what you decide about taking or declining the rental-car LDW, if you won't be purchasing third-party liability insurance coverage from the rental-car company, you and your son should each bring a copy of your personal insurance declarations page to prove that you have liability coverage applicable to the rental. (Just make sure that your personal insurance covers you when driving rental cars.)

If you rent the car from Avis or Budget and are an AARP member, you would get (minimal) primary liability coverage for free by using the AARP discount code when booking the rental.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Please tell me where the relevant forum is. Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alohastephen
Please tell me where the relevant forum is. Thank you!
Your post is in it! (The OP's thread was moved from some other forum to this one.)
alohastephen likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might help to know where the OP's residence is located and also what credit card will be used.

However, the OP should realize that CA has some special laws about car insurance. It's essential to verify that there is correct insurance. Someone here on FT got in trouble about this recently and had his driver's license revoked.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It might help to know where the OP's residence is located and also what credit card will be used.

However, the OP should realize that CA has some special laws about car insurance. It's essential to verify that there is correct insurance. Someone here on FT got in trouble about this recently and had his driver's license revoked.

agree, need to know where in the world the OP is, if your from Europe i use insurance4carhire.com, I have an annual policy for US & Canada CDW/SLI and excess for the rest of the world for £109.99 a year. If you travel more than once a year its worth getting your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.