Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Autoslash now just a priceline subsidiary?

Old Jun 22, 17, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Autoslash folks (I know you read the forum),

Why have you basically outsourced all your searches now to Priceline. The old system was much better.

Is it because you're now just an affiliate link company getting priceline commission? What incentive do I have anymore to use your awesome service?
Old Jun 22, 17, 3:40 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Thanks for reaching out. In this other FT thread (scroll to the bottom of the last page), we discuss why we are making changes to our service. In short, we are being forced to by an industry that wishes we didn't exist.

Many years ago, we had a choice of two possible paths--get in bed with the industry and provide mediocre deals, or stay 100% consumer-focused and find our customers the best deal possible. I think you know which path we took, but it was not without its pitfalls. As such, we've had to make some changes to our service. In some ways, we wish we could have stuck with the system we had, but in others, it hopefully will open the door to some new features and functionality down the road that we think our users will get a lot of value out of.

In the meantime, it's important to keep in mind a couple of things:

1. We are still finding our customers the best deals possible. The rates we are offering through Priceline (and we likely will offer other options shortly) are NOT the standard rates. We still figure out which coupons and discounts yield the lowest possible rate, and we offer those through other booking channels.

2. If by some chance, you find a lower rate than we are offering, or if you already have a rental booked, just use our free price tracking service by going to autoslash.com/track to tell us about your rental. We'll immediately get to work to see if we can find you a better deal. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

I hope this helps to explain things. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or need further assistance.
Old Jul 8, 17, 6:55 am

Programs: Budget, Avis, Enterprise, Hertz
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Thanks for reaching out. In this other FT thread (scroll to the bottom of the last page), we discuss why we are making changes to our service.
The link directly to the post (post350) discussing the changes is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28443846-post350.html.

As you may guess, post350 is no longer at the bottom of the last page.
Old Aug 7, 17, 1:07 pm

Thanks for the direct link mogsdad. You can check out this pertinent post as well.
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Thanks for the direct link mogsdad. You can check out this pertinent post as well.

I used your service many many times in the past years and found it great. I referred you to many of my friends. Please find a way to get back to your old way of searching for rental prices.
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by mrlasssen View Post
I used your service many many times in the past years and found it great. I referred you to many of my friends. Please find a way to get back to your old way of searching for rental prices.
Actually, nothing has changed with searching for prices.

We are still using the same pricing providers we used before. We're still using the same database of coupon codes as before. The rates we find are the same rates we've helped you find for the past many years, and nothing has changed.

The only thing that has changed is that we can no longer book directly with the rental companies. So instead of finding a rate and then referring you to ourselves to book, we now find that exact same rate and then refer you to a major travel booking site to complete the reservation.

(Currently that's Priceline, since their site supports the greatest combination of discounts and coupons and airport/local rental locations. We're working on adding support for other sites for the more limited cases in which they will work.)

Again, the way we search for rates has not changed, only the way you book those rates.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks for your support over the years.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:41 am

Actually, nothing has changed with searching for prices.

We are still using the same pricing providers we used before. We're still using the same database of coupon codes as before. The rates we find are the same rates we've helped you find for the past many years, and nothing has changed.

The only thing that has changed is that we can no longer book directly with the rental companies. So instead of finding a rate and then referring you to ourselves to book, we now find that exact same rate and then refer you to a major travel booking site to complete the reservation.

(Currently that's Priceline, since their site supports the greatest combination of discounts and coupons and airport/local rental locations. We're working on adding support for other sites for the more limited cases in which they will work.)

Again, the way we search for rates has not changed, only the way you book those rates.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks for your support over the years.
Thank you for the replay and explanation of the booking process, The savings you provide is appricated. Does the new process still continue looking for lower prices after the booking and before the rental begins? I have some reservations with you now and am asking if you will continue looking for lower prices on those reservations?
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I Autoslashed recently for the first time in a couple months and I was a little baffled by the fact that all I got were a bunch of priceline links.

It's not really obvious to me how Autoslash is any different now vs. just starting out in priceline myself? I click on a rate and it just takes me to priceline's 1001 different options where I presumably have to search for the rate myself. Why bother?
Old Oct 12, 17, 12:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...I have some reservations with you now and am asking if you will continue looking for lower prices on those reservations?
My understanding is that you have to go to www.autoslash.com/track and put in the details from the Priceline reservation in order to have the reservation tracked for price drops. And then when it happens, rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
...It's not really obvious to me how Autoslash is any different now vs. just starting out in priceline myself? I click on a rate and it just takes me to priceline's 1001 different options where I presumably have to search for the rate myself. Why bother?
I find the Priceline links to be pretty obvious in terms of what class car I'm looking for; almost always at the top of the list.

The whole reservation/tracking process is MUCH more cumbersome than it used to be and I dearly hope Autoslash can find a less workload-on-the-user source for bookings and will once again automatically re-book price drops.

That said, I will continue to go through the cumbersome process of reserving with Priceline (and put up with their subsequent spammy emails), putting details in Autoslash/track, getting a price drop, re-reserve, cancel old one, re-track. Why? They have continued to save me major dollars, although I will admit that the auto rental companies have made it much more difficult to use Autoslash -- which is regrettable.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
I Autoslashed recently for the first time in a couple months and I was a little baffled by the fact that all I got were a bunch of priceline links.

It's not really obvious to me how Autoslash is any different now vs. just starting out in priceline myself? I click on a rate and it just takes me to priceline's 1001 different options where I presumably have to search for the rate myself. Why bother?
Here's why. Here's the most recent search our system did for someone, on a request submitted 10 minutes ago (I picked the most recent one our system had processed, just so that it was completely random, not to cherry-pick any particularly good result):

Search: Pick-up 11/1/17 @ 10pm at TUS, drop-off 11/4/17 @ 6:30am at TUS, economy car

Priceline's rates:
Dollar: $135 (for economy)
Alamo: $141
Enterprise: $159
Hertz: $171
Budget: $176
Avis: $197 (for economy)
National: $221

Our rates:
Alamo: $113
Dollar: $116 (for compact)
Hertz: $118
Enterprise: $143
Budget: $153
Avis: $173 (for compact)
National: $189

By going straight to Priceline, you're seeing and booking the undiscounted, retail, rack rate. By having us do the search for you, we're finding and applying coupon and discount codes that are knocking 20-30% off or so. We see typical results ranging anywhere from 10% up to more than 70% off in some cases--it's just a matter of how the rental companies have loaded the coupons in their systems.

(Plus, notice on two of those results, we actually found coupons that made an upgraded car cheaper than the smaller-sized car. Every now and then we even find that something like a premium or luxury car ends up cheaper than a midsize, due to various promotional codes. You won't find that just searching retail rates on Priceline/Expedia/Orbitz/the rental company sites.)

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
My understanding is that you have to go to www.autoslash.com/track and put in the details from the Priceline reservation in order to have the reservation tracked for price drops. And then when it happens, rinse and repeat.

This is a common question we get both here on FT and by email, and if anyone has any suggestions for how we can better communicate this, we're all ears.

I find the Priceline links to be pretty obvious in terms of what class car I'm looking for; almost always at the top of the list.

The whole reservation/tracking process is MUCH more cumbersome than it used to be and I dearly hope Autoslash can find a less workload-on-the-user source for bookings and will once again automatically re-book price drops.

That said, I will continue to go through the cumbersome process of reserving with Priceline (and put up with their subsequent spammy emails), putting details in Autoslash/track, getting a price drop, re-reserve, cancel old one, re-track. Why? They have continued to save me major dollars, although I will admit that the auto rental companies have made it much more difficult to use Autoslash -- which is regrettable.
We agree it's cumbersome and have come up with some ideas for ways to make it easier. There are a lot of under-the-hood and back-end changes we really need to make first to be able to do a good job supporting it (user profiles are one major thing, so you can manage everything from a control panel rather than email links), but hopefully it isn't too far in the future.
Brighton Line likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post

Tried the AutoSlash.com/track and heard back almost immediately, when I clicked on the new rate option, it was for
Alamo, Alamo was not an option to chose from, looks like a tickler ghost rate offered by Priceline, frustrating. Sad that Auto Slash says the system still works like it used to.
Old Oct 13, 17, 9:00 am

Tried the AutoSlash.com/track and heard back almost immediately, when I clicked on the new rate option, it was for
Alamo, Alamo was not an option to chose from, looks like a tickler ghost rate offered by Priceline, frustrating. Sad that Auto Slash says the system still works like it used to.
There are no tickler ghost rates. No bait and switch. If a rate that we offer is not available, please email us. As per our offer emails:

Rates quoted are accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time we found them but can't be guaranteed until you book your reservation. Occasionally, we may locate a rate that isn't bookable through some sites. If you have trouble booking a rate we found, contact us and we'll be glad to help you further.
In the vast majority of cases, we can resolve the issue and get you booked at the offered rate. You just need to give us a chance to help you.

To give you a bit more insight, when we search for discounted rates, a rate may be returned by the rental company that can be glictchy when you acutually try to book it. Our support team is very experienced at handling these situations, but they need to be made aware of the problem. It's simply not possible to test-book every single offer we send out, so we try to do our best to make sure we only send rates that are in fact bookable, but even when we occasionally run across an issue, we have various ways to force things through.

I will PM you to get more info so we can get your reservation info and hopefully get you the price we offered. In the meantime, feel free to contact our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

We look forward to saving you money on your rental!
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:32 pm

There are no tickler ghost rates. No bait and switch. If a rate that we offer is not available, please email us. As per our offer emails:

In the vast majority of cases, we can resolve the issue and get you booked at the offered rate. You just need to give us a chance to help you.

To give you a bit more insight, when we search for discounted rates, a rate may be returned by the rental company that can be glictchy when you acutually try to book it. Our support team is very experienced at handling these situations, but they need to be made aware of the problem. It's simply not possible to test-book every single offer we send out, so we try to do our best to make sure we only send rates that are in fact bookable, but even when we occasionally run across an issue, we have various ways to force things through.

I will PM you to get more info so we can get your reservation info and hopefully get you the price we offered. In the meantime, feel free to contact our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

We look forward to saving you money on your rental!
Did a search for a rental and was satisfied with the price, then confirmed it with Auto Slash and received a confirmation from them. A while later I went to my account with the rental car company and found they had extended my rental and increased my price. So I called the rental agency and was told the return office will be closed on the day I was to return the car, so that is why the price increased, sorry. I then called the return location and they confirmed they will be closed and I will be billed at the higher rate. Was told they have a key drop box but the contract will not be closed until the next day, sorry. But wait, I have a confirmed price sent to me, sorry. So, asked canít you honor the price, sorry not our policy. OK, called price line and finally spoke to a supervisor. They said just rent the car and if you are charged the higher price let us know and we will try and work with the car agency and asked them to honor our price but no guarantee. But wait, donít you have a price guarantee, yes, if you find a lower price we will honor it, that is price guarantee? Sorry Auto Slash I canceled. Never had this much trouble before Price Line got involved with booking.
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:39 pm

Did a search for a rental and was satisfied with the price, then confirmed it with Auto Slash and received a confirmation from them. A while later I went to my account with the rental car company and found they had extended my rental and increased my price. So I called the rental agency and was told the return office will be closed on the day I was to return the car, so that is why the price increased, sorry. I then called the return location and they confirmed they will be closed and I will be billed at the higher rate. Was told they have a key drop box but the contract will not be closed until the next day, sorry. But wait, I have a confirmed price sent to me, sorry. So, asked canít you honor the price, sorry not our policy. OK, called price line and finally spoke to a supervisor. They said just rent the car and if you are charged the higher price let us know and we will try and work with the car agency and asked them to honor our price but no guarantee. But wait, donít you have a price guarantee, yes, if you find a lower price we will honor it, that is price guarantee? Sorry Auto Slash I canceled. Never had this much trouble before Price Line got involved with booking.
Sorry for the difficulty. To be 100% honest, we had exactly the same problem before when we booked people direct with us (before we switched to Priceline). My guess is that you were booked with Hertz. They consistently do this, and we've reimbursed customers out of our pocket on more occasions than I can count. The problem rests with Hertz in that they continually quote rates for times when the return location is closed, but then auto-adjusts the rate on their site. This happens with every site out there (Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) except for Hertz.com where they have a message during the booking process that they are auto-adjusting your rate. It's extremely annoying and frustrating, but the problem rests with Hertz. Avis/Budget will not even quote rates when the location is closed, and Enterprise will quote a rate to return when the location is closed, but they will honor the rate, even if the vehicle is not checked in until they re-open. Not trying to make excuses here, but the problem rests with Hertz.
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:11 pm

Sorry for the difficulty. To be 100% honest, we had exactly the same problem before when we booked people direct with us (before we switched to Priceline). My guess is that you were booked with Hertz. They consistently do this, and we've reimbursed customers out of our pocket on more occasions than I can count. The problem rests with Hertz in that they continually quote rates for times when the return location is closed, but then auto-adjusts the rate on their site. This happens with every site out there (Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) except for Hertz.com where they have a message during the booking process that they are auto-adjusting your rate. It's extremely annoying and frustrating, but the problem rests with Hertz. Avis/Budget will not even quote rates when the location is closed, and Enterprise will quote a rate to return when the location is closed, but they will honor the rate, even if the vehicle is not checked in until they re-open. Not trying to make excuses here, but the problem rests with Hertz.
Even after canceling my reservation I receive solisataions from Priceline saying they have found a better rate, even today. The offer is for Hertz, Avis, and Alamo, with a return date when the return office is closed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: