Search

Alamo Nissan Frontier pickup truck?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alamo Nissan Frontier pickup truck?

Has anyone ever rented one of these?

They're available cheap at BNA (Nashville), and it kind of seems like the right vehicle to fit in with the locals (we're headed to rural Tennessee). It would also be different from your usual airport car rental. But I'll have 2 pax with me. I'm pretty sure it's extended cab, but I'm also guessing there's no cover on the bed, so even with a little luggage (like 3 rollerboards) it's probably not a great vehicle to take for my needs. True?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:40 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Seen a bunch of these around rental fleets but haven't driven one. Correct, no bed cover so limited "clean" storage. Rear passenger will be tight with 3 roller boards, but should be doable. Note that the vehicle has not had a major update since ~2014 and it shows when driving this thing.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:59 pm

It will a a Crew Cab and in the SV trim. I wouldn't rent one.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Did a one-way rental of one of these (with crew cab) for a Colorado to Seattle drive. Absolutely loved it. Huge amount of room. Didn't find the luggage-in-the-bed an issue; simply bongeed the suitcases and, if it looked like rain somewhere on a travel day, simply slipped the rollaboard into a heavy duty plastic garbage sack. Would love to rent one again.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I'll have to decide. I always like trunks when I rent cars so I don't have to worry about my luggage on display. But a truck would be fun for a change.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:03 pm

I am also about to rent a "Standard pick-up (FP category)" from Alamo Denver.

If I understand well, this should be a Nissan Frontier crew deck SV trim.

- do you know if it is a 4x4, or 4x2 version?

- what else Alamo offers in the same category (standard pickup)? Do they currently only have Nissan Frontier?

Thank you for any advice or feedback.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
I own an old, first generation, Chevy Colorado crew cab truck, similar to the Nissan. I'd be ok with putting three people and two roll-aboards (you roll it aboard, duh) in the cab. As others have mentioned, hey, it's a truck! It will handle like one. If you are a car person, you'll have a bit of a learning curve relative to how it handles. [I also have a sports car. It also has a learning curve relative to a "normal" sedan.]

I have lockable a cover for the bed of my truck, not an option on a rental. As others noted above, a few bungee cords add some assurance that the cargo won't fly out on its own (realistically, a packed suitcase or roll-aboard will never fly out of a pickup truck bed with the tailgate closed). If you are concerned with security, a cable and lock should suffice. For rain... get water resistant luggage or heavy duty trash bags. Look for "contractor bags" at Home Depot, not the "heavy duty" stuff you can buy at a grocery store, though those would work also.

But what I find funny is that the truck (on Hotwire) is listed as seating four and carrying two full size suitcases. That's just not right. I would not put two full size suitcases in the space between the rear seat pax. That would never work. And if they are counting on the bed, then it's more like 8 suitcases and 8 roll-aboards.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.