Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO to MIA - Tolls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
MCO to MIA - Tolls

Looking for some suggestions. I am picking up a car from Sixt at MCO and returning in MIA. I am a little concerned regarding tolls. We will travel from MCO to Clearwater and then down to Marco. I know that I can pay cash at the tolls as have done so previously. My worry is leaving Marco and heading to MIA. Will I be hit by tolls on this route? I don't really want to pay the extravagant fees which Sixt offer for a transponder so suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
If you're far enough out from the trip to get it mailed in time, you could just buy a transponder from SunPass (or you could buy one when you get there).

The portable one is $20, the Mini is $4.99 (the Mini would be a one time use, the portable can be re-used as many times as you need).

One of the nice things about their system is that they explicitly support adding rental cars to your account, and you set and end date for the period in which you have the car (and it makes sure the charges don't hit the rental company in case the transponder doesn't read).

Depending on the number of tolls, you may save enough in tolls to pay for the pass (it's cheaper for SunPass customers most of the time), you don't have to stop at the toll locations, and you avoid the rental car fees. I got ones years ago and don't regret it in the least (I do get to Florida every once and a while, it paid for itself on a Miami trip with the cashless toll points).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:02 am

If you are going to Marco Island, you might want to consider taking Tamiami Trail (SR90) to Miami and bypass the tolls altogether. Taking I-75 is actually backtracking and wouldn't be that much faster.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to know if they would mail a transponder overseas?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

I'm not sure, but I suggest giving customer service a call.

https://www.sunpass.com/callCenterHours.action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.